Black Jersey Giant thread!!!!!

Pics

This is my guy with 4 of my 7 hens.Two of the hens are starting to go broody now. I'm getting 3-5 eggs a day, and they just started laying consistently. I just really like this breed so It really doesn't matter to me how many eggs they produce or how fast they grow. If I have extra eggs to sell its just a bonus for me. As soon as I'm done traveling for work I'll start trying to hatch eggs.(Let my hens have them)

I have what I believe is a black jersey giant but not sure. I got it from an egg farm as a culled rooster damaged hen. She was a mess, back all tore up feathers gone and very timid. She just started laying and, since she is the only new one and all my others lay brown eggs must be laying green eggs. Does anyone know if they lay green eggs? Here is a picture of her:

Ive been told leg bars lay green eggs but I've had this one (foreground in the epic) for a while (had two but found one dead for no apparent reason and partially eaten by the other hens) and she lays brown eggs, i'm pretty sure.

My plans are all of the above. I was just going to eat them and hatch out enough to add to my flock. I'm trying to figure out a nest box design so that if one goes broody she can sit on eggs and not break them. But I've had people say they want fertile eggs and chicks so I'm just gonna see what happens when the time comes.

Here is a pic of one I just built. $60 or so worth of materials from Lowes and Family Farm. I made the first one from scraps I had lying around, liked the design and made a bigger one.

I had a gold bantam that was a great brood mom so I put her in the brood pen with the chicks and she kept them warm and when I let them out she protected them. Now I just buy new chicks when I need them because I've sworn off roosters. Too dangerous for my young grand children and hard on the hens. All my hens had their backs stripped bare by their spurs. Took all winter and a molt to get them back in shape. I enjoyed the crowing and their strutting but it's not worth it to me any more.

If Giants lay brown eggs then I'm stumped. I can't find any pictures that match the hen I have that come any closer than the Jersey Giant. Unless the Leg Bar came from that same farm and I just can't remember when it arrived. I think my stepson snuck one in on me when I didn't notice, not sure because at that time all my hens were so damaged you couldn't tell what they were. The leg bar is one that I was trying to remember where I got it, didn't remember it from the last buy so it could be new. I hate getting old. Seems like I can't keep track like I used to :-( Problem is I lost several to predation and may not be remembering all of them right. Two bantams and an Isa Red, possibly two, not sure any more. Then found one dead unexpectedly (Leg Bar I thought). I keep them locked up now due to predation. Breaks my heart but I don't want to lose any more.

I'm going to try to catch the green egg culprit in the nest box, then I'll know for sure :)

Hey everyone,
We got 6 chicks from our IFA and our luck is awful! 2 of them are looking like roosters. Are jersey blacks decent meat birds? Since he's the biggest, I think that's the one we're going to slaughter. When do they reach a good age? They're already so much bigger than the other 4 chicks we have. We'll hopefully get Jersey Blacks in a year or two when we can expand the coop and run, we stayed on the smaller side this year to see how it went.

I think they are good meat birds in my opinion and I would reccomend once they are pretty much fully grown and u don't see any more growth in them if u are wanting to let them grow to get the most meat off them I could give u a specific age but all birds grow at different passes

I have two black jersey giant chicks that are about 2 weeks old. I don't know who's female and who's male. Any suggestions? Thanks- Evan

Back
Top Bottom