Black Jersey Giant thread!!!!!

Okay I have a question! Are JG hens really that much bigger than other gen breeds? As I have looked at pictures it doesn't seem that they are huge, but my girl i have has grown really really fast. She will be 5 weeks on Friday. Is she going to be huge?! I saw that they stop growing at about 2 years. She's only 5 weeks and this big!
if they are hatchery they most likely are mixed with Australorp. They add that in to increase laying ability. So I've heard. I do have hatchery JG and it seems obvious so I believe it. I now have JG from a private breeder and there is such a diff. Yes hens should be some bigger than standard breeds. Depending on which breed your are talking about. I now have black and blue true JG, not from hatchery and will be setting a load of eggs soon. Here's some blues to see hen size and I love this roo. He's people friendly and takes care of his ladies. My black one is a spawn from hell and will be culled shortly. Sadly his offspring will be caponized and freezer bound. The blue can produce black with my black hens. Your chickie is so cute.

animama, thank you for your post! And, you have some very beautiful birds!! My girl Darla is now roughly the size of my grandmothers 15 week old RIR....... she is only 6 weeks!

Just measured Big Boy my blue JG he is 26" tall @ 16 mos. Will weigh maybe tomorrow. If I get time. I'm am curious to know what he weighs now.

Those of you who helped with my slow-grower: we moved the girls outside about 2 weeks ago and it has made a world of a difference! She's still a bit smaller than the others, but she's grown a bunch and has really feathered in the time they've been out there. She loves munching on all of the green stuff in the run :)

So i went in to my barn last night and heard some chirpin' coming from my brooder box i had made for my broody Jersey giant. And so i lifted her up and found two wee lil' chicks under here. a polish mix and a Easter egger. There both looking like pullets judging by their wing feathers. the two hatched a bit to early though. but the rest of her eggs are bound to hatch this monday. Until then heres a pic of the lil polish one i dont have any pics of the easter egger yet but here ye' go!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom