black junk around base of comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sclivestock, Jan 25, 2014.

1. sclivestock

sclivestock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2014
    Sugar Valley , GA
    I have a new hampsire red hen that has black junk around the base of her comb she doesn't act weak or anything and I've heard of a disease called blackhead that's caused by a liver disease caused by worms has anyone had this or know what's goin on I'll try to get a picture up today

2. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Could you upload pics? They could help us understand a little better.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Please load some pictures.it will really help. Blackened comb can be several things from frostbite to mites or disease.a pic would help us a lot. Thanks.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Are you sure it is not blood from an injury? If comb separates from scalp,even a small tear will result in severe bleeding,is it possible this is what you are seeing,dried blood.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    A photo would certainly help. It could be dried blood from an injury (common in chickens), frostbite, or another disease. Probably not blackhead, though, as that produces different symptoms than the ones you are describing.

6. sclivestock

sclivestock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2014
    Sugar Valley , GA
    Thanks for replies I was finally able to get close to her and found it was dried blood do I need to dress the wound or will it heal on its on the bleeding stopped but is there anything I need to watch for

7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Just watch and make sure no birds are pecking at wound. If bleeding has stopped then wound has already started healing and has probably closed up,so really no need to do anything. If you are concerned,apply a small dab of antibiotic ointment to wound(nothing ending in "caine/cane",toxic to chickens),make sure to not disturb and reopen injury. If a wound becomes infected one of the first signs is swelling and a foul smell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by