black junk around base of comb

sclivestock

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 17, 2014
Sugar Valley , GA
I have a new hampsire red hen that has black junk around the base of her comb she doesn't act weak or anything and I've heard of a disease called blackhead that's caused by a liver disease caused by worms has anyone had this or know what's goin on I'll try to get a picture up today

Please load some pictures.it will really help. Blackened comb can be several things from frostbite to mites or disease.a pic would help us a lot. Thanks.

Are you sure it is not blood from an injury? If comb separates from scalp,even a small tear will result in severe bleeding,is it possible this is what you are seeing,dried blood.

A photo would certainly help. It could be dried blood from an injury (common in chickens), frostbite, or another disease. Probably not blackhead, though, as that produces different symptoms than the ones you are describing.

Thanks for replies I was finally able to get close to her and found it was dried blood do I need to dress the wound or will it heal on its on the bleeding stopped but is there anything I need to watch for

Thanks for replies I was finally able to get close to her and found it was dried blood do I need to dress the wound or will it heal on its on the bleeding stopped but is there anything I need to watch for
Just watch and make sure no birds are pecking at wound. If bleeding has stopped then wound has already started healing and has probably closed up,so really no need to do anything. If you are concerned,apply a small dab of antibiotic ointment to wound(nothing ending in "caine/cane",toxic to chickens),make sure to not disturb and reopen injury. If a wound becomes infected one of the first signs is swelling and a foul smell.

Back
Top Bottom