Black Langshans, Two of Three Late to Feather

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I have 3 of Ideal's Black Langshans, just over 4 weeks old. One has been nearly as well-feathered as the Marans, Dominiques, and Cochins all along but two are still half-naked.

0619211114_HDR.jpg

0619211113a.jpg
0619211116_HDR.jpg

Does this mean anything or is it just "hatchery quality" lack of uniformity in breed characteristics?

(Those 2 half-naked ones kept the entire batch of chicks on overnight heat almost a week longer than they really needed it).

I need a cockerel for my flock -- I was sort of hoping for one of the French Cuckoo Marans to be a boy though, not the Langshans. :D

All 3 combs appear to be identical at this stage.
Well, unless you was looking to breed the Cuckoo Marans... In my personal opinion, I think that Langshan roosters are some of the prettiest roosters out there. :love :love

There is a gene that causes chickens to grow their feathers slower. (It's called "slow feathering" for obvious reasons!)

You probably have 2 Langshans with slow feathering, and one with the normal fast feathering.

Some breeds have just one kind of feathering (fast or slow), some have a mix, and sometimes people cross a fast-feathering male with slow-feathering hens to get sons that feather slowly and daughters that feather fast (so they can tell the sexes by the feathering speed.)

Once the chicks get their first full set of feathers, the fast or slow feathering genes seem to have no further effect on the chicken (although they can be passed on to the offspring. So if you do not like slow-feathering chicks, do not keep a slow-feathered rooster for breeding.)

Well, unless you was looking to breed the Cuckoo Marans... In my personal opinion, I think that Langshan roosters are some of the prettiest roosters out there. :love :love

I'm still working on figuring out what the best breeds for me and my situation are, but those Marans tick a lot of the boxes on my list.

I do love the beauty of the Langshans -- being a sucker for both black feathers and feathered feet.

Back
Top Bottom