Black Link seizure and died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HamorHollow, Jun 27, 2010.

1. HamorHollow

HamorHollow Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    New Hampshire
    When I let the chickens out into the pen this AM everyone seemed normal. We were at a chicken swap for 3-4 hours and when we got home, the black sex link was sitting out of the coop on the hay with her eyes closed like she was sleeping. I picked her up and looked at her and everything seemed fine, I put her down and she walked around then sat and closed her eyes. She seemed to go into seizures and passed very quickly.

She wasn't choking on anything and she wasn't egg bound, I checked.

She was probably about 5 months, molting with pinned feathers. I've heard they can get fevers with the pinning, so that could be a possibility.

Details:

1) What type of bird , age and weight.

Black sex link, 5 months, maybe 2lbs

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Just what I described above.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

I hadn't noticed any before we got home from the swap. I'm still a newbie at this, so I may have missed something.

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

She vomited water as she was passing, but I assume that was just from her craw.

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

No idea. Pen was recently cleaned, it's was in the 90's yesterday but it was much cooler last night and today. Coop is shaded and doesn't get all that hot, plus the door was open and the chicken was outside.

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Egg layer pellets and well water.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

I hadn't noticed anything.

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

None

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

It's dead, I want to make soup.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Wooden shed, pine shavings inside, hay outside.

My flock was just tested 2 weeks ago and ironically I received my card yesterday.

First, I would like to know if anyone knows what may have happened. Second, I want to know if I can make soup. I wouldn't consider it if I had come home to a dead bird, but having been there when it died.......... hey, I really like chicken soup!

Kelly

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Without a necropsy you will not know for sure what caused this death. It could have been so many things. I had a 1 year old hen die suddenly and the necropsy showed that she had a tumor on her spleen that had ruptured. I would not consume the bird if I did not know what killed it, that's just me. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by