Black maran chick

ScottyGill

Songster
Jun 22, 2019
Dunoon, Argyll & Bute, Scotland
I know I was told it was way to early to tell but I do have a question. My little black marans chick does have a more pronounced comb which is a little pink compared to the two blue marans who have small yellow combs. There is no upright stance except when looking up, no chest bumping, no clear dominant behaviour from any of them. With my CCL cockerel I would have know he was without his colouring. So my question is can a female black maran have a pink comb? Is this why it’s hard to sex till later? Not asking for a decision, just asking about possible comb variations in young females?

Attachments

• 245F974F-8632-42B0-AB7E-25B239F20CE9.jpeg
    245F974F-8632-42B0-AB7E-25B239F20CE9.jpeg
    714.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
How old is it? That is looking cockerelish imo. I find if you have both a male and female to compare combs with, it is really easy to tell the difference at an early age. Mine are 4 weeks old now and I’ve been able to tell since a week or two. Spitzhauben on the other hand... not as easy.

Quite a bit of comb for a young chick, and seems to have a pink tinge to it. I lean towards male.

FWIW, both male and female chicks will fight and chest bump to a certain extent. After they are a couple of months old it seems to be primarily between males (chest bumping). But, not all chicks will fight or chest bump, irregardless of gender.

Back
Top Bottom