Black on comb (blood blister?) and bleeding - NOT frostbite

ChickenMusic

Hatching
5 Years
May 23, 2014
Hello.

On 5/18/14 (4 days ago) there was nothing wrong with the comb of my chicken (I have two). However; today (5/23/14) I noticed two black spots - one on the comb and one on the top of the beak. They are bleeding on occasion and it looks like there also might be a white streak near it. (see picture)

From some research this may or may not be fowl/avian pox - although they don't mention bleeding.

This chicken has also recently been panting a lot but active, moving around, laying eggs and drinking/eating. Average temperature has been about 80/85 Degrees Fahrenheit. But plenty of shade, water and food. Their home can get a bit stuffy but has plenty of air flow.

Any information/advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

- Adam

Looks like your bird got into a scuffle with something. Fowl pox does not present quite that way. Those appear to be injuries rather than an illness. Fowl pox are generally perfectly circular, and they don't bleed unless torn open.

Thank you for your reply.

You are correct! :) I also talked with my local vet who suggested taking some hydrogen peroxide (making sure not to get it into her eyes) on a paper towel and cleaning it.

After closer inspection it is a tear in that part of the comb, maybe from the chicken wire? So I cleaned the wound and applied some neosporin to it.

It looks better today.

I also found out chicken's pant when in pain, I thought she was just hot.

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom