Roosters comb frostbitten and now has yellow blisters. What do I do?

JulietsMomma

Chirping
Mar 24, 2023
I have two small bantam roosters that have developed frostbite on their combs. The temperatures here have been in the single digits but their coop was completely draft free. The roosters still insisted on coming out and patrolling even with the temperatures low. I left them in their covered runs. I noticed one day when I went to do my inspections that their combs had developed some discolored spots. Then, the next day the spots were just gone. I had not seen a single thing wrong with their combs until this morning.

The temperatures shot up today and it’s already 43 degrees F. I got them all and inspected their combs (all my other chickens and roosters included) did not get frostbitten. My two that did now have these yellow blisters on their combs. I have read not to lance them but I know this has to be painful and I feel terrible. Can anyone give me sound advice on how to care for their combs like this?

Attachments

• IMG_9640.jpeg
    IMG_9640.jpeg
    568.3 KB · Views: 9
Frostbite can be very tricky to treat. Where are you located and how cold exactly has it been? What's coming up? Below freezing?
I’m in Kentucky. It was 1 degree F a couple of days ago but it’s already 45 degrees out now. We had a full week of terrible weather but it’s supposed to be in the 50s this week.

Never lance or break a blister with frostbite. Those combs have mild frostbite, and they will heal in weeks, possibly with loss of some points. Do not apply ointments or sprays, as they can add to frostbite and freeze. Do not massage the combs.
Thank you! I haven’t done anything besides look them over this morning. I’ll leave them be and just monitor.

I live in the same area, and have had zero and 3 F temps in the last week. It can be hard to prevent frostbite on combs in those temps no matter what you do. It just happens. They will be okay in time. I have seen a lot worse that have been fine later. If you watch the emergency thread each day, you will see a lot of frostbite threads with pictures.

Back
Top Bottom