Black poop (with photos)

Farmgirl805

Songster
Jun 29, 2022
Ventura, CA
I’ve got 8 hens out back and someone is has black poop (I think it’s my blue Cochin, who btw is being bullied by my EE who thinks she’s a Roo). There are other concerning, less than normal poops in the run, but no bloody stools, just some runny, some off color, wondering if I should treat for coccidiosis. Everyone is acting mostly normal - except for my EE who seems a bit agitated. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated
(I’m also attaching photos of some blue/ green “slime” I found inside my EE’s most recent egg. It was definitely slimy, in the white of the egg yolk. But it was the exact color of her eggs. Made me think her chicken parts that deposit color to the shell may be going haywire. She’s 8 yrs old)

Attachments

• IMG_1957.jpeg
    IMG_1957.jpeg
    635.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1951.jpeg
    IMG_1951.jpeg
    879.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1950.jpeg
    IMG_1950.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1551.jpeg
    IMG_1551.jpeg
    752.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1544.jpeg
    IMG_1544.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1405.jpeg
    IMG_1405.jpeg
    946.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1959.jpeg
    IMG_1959.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1961.jpeg
    IMG_1961.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1963.jpeg
    IMG_1963.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1960.jpeg
    IMG_1960.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 10
Since your EE is bullying the Blue Cochin, it's possible the EE is preventing the Cochin from eating feed out of the feeder. Therefore the Cochin is probably picking up and eating debris, including dirt off the ground causing the dark feces you're seeing. You can put peepers on the EE or add another feeder. The EE cant be at two places at once.

I'm not sure about the blue/green slime in the EE's egg. Due to her age, I agree that her egg laying machinery has gone haywire.
Maybe it'll work itself out and back to normal eggs.

Since your EE is bullying the Blue Cochin, it's possible the EE is preventing the Cochin from eating feed out of the feeder. Therefore the Cochin is probably picking up and eating debris, including dirt off the ground causing the dark feces you're seeing. You can put peepers on the EE or add another feeder. The EE cant be at two places at once.

I'm not sure about the blue/green slime in the EE's egg. Due to her age, I agree that her egg laying machinery has gone haywire.
Maybe it'll work itself out and back to normal eggs.
I think you’re probably right about the EE preventing my Cochin (Terri - short for Terriyaki) from getting to the feeder. When I do catch the EE (who we’ve renamed Bruce Jennar) trying to bully or mount Terri it’s usually near the water. I’m sure it’s no different than the food. I’ll keep my eye out and certainly put out more food and water for my fluffy little Terri girl.

Do you feed yours blueberries at all, or is there a place where they can find some in your yard? If so, that may be why, I had that happen a few times, if they have too many blueberries, their poo can be black.

Back
Top Bottom