Black Poop?

Actually, I have the same thing! I have 2 Buff Orps, a RIR, a Barred Rock, and a Golden Comet, a Golden Laced Wyandotte, and a Silver Leghorn. I have noticed that one egg each day or so is "stained" black or dark green as if ink was on it. Then, I noticed a black, tarry poop on the cement. Voila! Mystery solved, but as a Medical Technologist, I find this very disturbing, is this a lot of blood?

I have it narrowed down to one of the Orps, (they are just now beginning to lay), or the RIR, who has been laying since March. It has been unseasonably hot here in the Seattle area, I go out and they are laying in holes and panting. They have plenty of shade and water, and are eating normally. Everyone is fine in the morning and evening, and they all energetically sqaubble at "snack time".

Thanks for any info!

I have 1 chicken with black poop..just started 2 days ago.. Chicken has a limp , I think sustained from an illegal foray into the vegie patch and hooked up on the fence on way out . Does a lot of sitting , and head shaking ( headache ??)
Anyone got a clue what this is ??

Thanks for the link. My chicks are 2 or 3 months old and my Rodie is having a few tarish black poops and so is my rooster, an Americana, which is probably because they stay away from the group and I can't get a good chance of cleaning the coop because of the amount of straw we have.
1f413.png
1f414.png

What is that yellow mucus poop that chickens leave around the place ..
They are usually very sick , like they have a bad headache or stomach ache ???
Anyway we lost one chicken after about 2 weeks of I think agony .
Then 2 weeks after another one went into same condition , so what the ??
My wife who is 'Chinese' has these Chinese stomach ache tablets so she crushed one tablet into a small amount of water and spoon fed chicken with this mixture
Almost immediate turn around in condition and wellbeing .
we did this for about 4 days and cured her from almost certain death ..
Now we put a small amount in their water supply , So we see what happens .

Cheers

i have some chickens that are pooping black and a little bit of white in it. Is that good? There all active and are not lethargic. Some just started laying a couple weeks ago. there's 11 of them, but i think maybe 2 or 3 hens are pooping black poop. the first picture as some regular brown poop mixed with it!:) the second photo as regular poop and the black poop.
IMG_4680[1].JPG
IMG_4679[1].JPG

Last edited:
As long as they are acting normal and eating/drinking well, I would not worry about it. I will occasionally see black poop in my coop in the mornings, but if they are free ranging and eating things out in the yard, greens and things can affect the color. If you notice one chicken doing this, I would place them in a crate with food and water, inside the coop with the others, and note the next day's poops. You can always take some in to your regular vet for a fecal test to look for worms and coccidiosis.

As long as they are acting normal and eating/drinking well, I would not worry about it. I will occasionally see black poop in my coop in the mornings, but if they are free ranging and eating things out in the yard, greens and things can affect the color. If you notice one chicken doing this, I would place them in a crate with food and water, inside the coop with the others, and note the next day's poops. You can always take some in to your regular vet for a fecal test to look for worms and coccidiosis.
They're not free ranged, but i try to let them out as much as possible. There's not a local vet that take chickens as there patients in my area!:) Thanks so much!;):D

Thank you so much for the pictures! I know, we all need to get a life, but I was really worried that I noticed about 3 spots of black poop lately - 8 week old buff orpingtons have only been outside for 1 week. I have been giving them treats of cantalope for the past couple of days and that could have contributed. Will lay off the treats for a couple of days. Much relieved to see that picture was a normal poop. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom