Black Pullet Hen can't see?

Cynthia 085

Songster
7 Years
May 4, 2014
CO
Hello :)
I recently picked up two cochins for my friend. They are gifts as an appreciation gesture.

Anyways I got them for him because all he has are RIR and some of the other egg layer kinds.

I talked to him prior to getting them and he said he wanted them and would accept them. (He is making a chicken coop for them specifically and won't be mixing them with the other aggressive birds he has).

My concern is the fact that one of the two cochins (the little black one) is blind or semi-blind.

I give her treats and she pecks at my skin not at the food in my hand. I started to notice this when I put some yummy treats in the ground and she would peck at the ground not the food.

She eats fine and she can eat out of her feeder tray with no issue. It is just when I give her treats that's an issue.

Will she be Ok?

I have already told my friend this and he still accepts her and comes to visit his cochins from time to time. They should be ready to go to him next week.

I hope she can make it OK. I know my friend will take good care of them :)

Last edited:
I have two older brahmas that are partially blind and had a young brahma that was completely blind in one eye. They do fine as long as nothing is changed in their environment; meaning nestboxes, feeders and waterers should not be moved around. Free ranging involves a larger danger to them than it would for a bird with full vision.

Thank you for relying I greatly appreciate it :)

My friend will be having them fenced in the run only. No free ranging which in this case it works out perfectly.

Thanks again for reassuring me. I did not know she was partially blind when I got her.

You know I just went back and read that your friend has other birds. It's a good thing that they will have their own coop. The little sight-impaired one will do better that way.

Yes I am glad that everything will be OK :)
It seemed to all work out one way or another.
When I got them they had a huge infestation of lice and ticks, but now they are fine :)

Back
Top Bottom