What is wrong with my hen??? Help please!

D4N4

Hatching
Dec 5, 2023
Hello everyone. So I have a hen that started having a foaming and leaking eye about 4 months ago. That time all my flock got sick with fowl pox, some of them with the wet version of it, got also foamy eyes. However, she never developed scabs like the others, just foamy eyes. The fowl pox passed and she kept having the same issue. Eventually that eye started to look cloudy, the pupil did not change color, but the whole eye looks cloudy. Two weeks ago, her other eye started to leak too and around it is all swollen. A friend of mine recommended for me to treat her with Aquamicyn, and I did. Nothing changed. Then she told me to treat her for Mycoplasma with Denagard. I started doing that about 4 days ago, but again, there is no changes. She keep being her normal self but, the first eye seems to be almost blind, and the swollen part on the other side does not allow her to see too much, thus, she does not eat by herself, and feed her is a whole adventure, since she ain't the most loving chick from the flock but one of the "wildest".... at this point I don't know what else to do...😔

Attachments

• received_403830135549249.jpeg
    received_403830135549249.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 28
  • received_286641557492950.jpeg
    received_286641557492950.jpeg
    425.5 KB · Views: 9
Welcome To BYC

Is there a bad odor?

Where are you located in the world?

The eye needs to be cleaned a few times a day with saline, the pus removed/pressed and ointment like Terramycin eye ointment put into the eye. Pus will not dry up on its own.

Denagard (Tiamulin) will treat MG only. You can try an antibiotic like Tylosin to see if that helps.

Welcome To BYC

Is there a bad odor?

Where are you located in the world?

The eye needs to be cleaned a few times a day with saline, the pus removed/pressed and ointment like Terramycin eye ointment put into the eye. Pus will not dry up on its own.

Denagard (Tiamulin) will treat MG only. You can try an antibiotic like Tylosin to see if that helps.
Hi there, yes, she smells kinda funky. I do not see pus coming out of her face, only fluid, clear fluid when I clean her (I always use gaze and saline for it). I did put Terramycin on her eyes until I ran out of it (about 2 days ago) but honestly it did not make a difference. Her face keeps getting bigger by the day, was thinking how to drain the fluids, since when squeezed/pressed, very few (close to nothing) comes out. I live in central-east FL.

I would try to press on the skin under which are they uses, and around the eye. Getting any pus out of the sinuses, may help her to heal and for the antibiotic ointment and oral antibiotics to help. If testing is available through your state vet, you could know whether this is MG or possibly coryza. Here are 2 graphic videos on getting pus from around the eye and sinus:

Back
Top Bottom