Black rock or black copper maran?

Loren the koala

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2019
Hello, Yesterday was a very exciting day as I finally got my first hens.I planned on getting 3 or 4 and settled on 4 as I couldn’t resist them all.They’ve all settled in rather well and took themselves off to bed by themselves last night.
Now my question is there were a few different breeds and colourings to choose from and in all the excitement I can’t remember if I ended up picking up a black rock or a black copper marans as there were both in the breeders shed.I’ve looked them up online and can’t find a way to tell the difference as both breeds look the same to me.I feel silly that I can’t remember and would love to know how to tell them which one I actually picked.I know the other 3 I picked are definitely a speckled maran,a bluebell maran and a silver sussex.

Hi, I think the Marans should have feathered feet and a Black Rock clean legs. Depends how old your girls are though as I didn't notice the feathers on my Marans when they were tiny. Maybe post some pics?

Oh and welcome to BYC :welcome:frow:D

I admit I don't know these breeds really well, but the black copper marans should have some bronze color in the hackle. Sometimes they don't have a whole lot when you have a hen, but there should also be some feathering on the legs. Some pictures of the hen would definitely help as well.

I remember the breeder said about the marans sometimes having feathered legs but all his didn’t.I’ll add some pics but as the Weather is awful and raining at the moment she is quite wet.(she does have cover,she just seems to stay out in the pouring rain).I find it hard to tell the difference because both breeds seem to have red hackle areas.
A4437AC1-A6D0-41D1-9F20-F5F5D9E0A4EE.jpeg

Attachments

• A06BCFAD-B906-4AC3-93C4-40CC14879058.jpeg
    A06BCFAD-B906-4AC3-93C4-40CC14879058.jpeg
    630.1 KB · Views: 35
Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, I'm pretty sure I see a little copper around her throat. :) (provided the hen in question is pictured) If so, this would make her a BCM. Some Marans are clean-legged....namely those bred to the American standard. French standard is another story, with lovely leg feathering.

ETA: Apparently, I was looking at the wrong photo. :lol: You say she has copper hackles, though?

~Alex

All my Marans, BCM cockerel and two blue copper Marans pullets, had feathered feet at hatch. At first I was worried about a deformed toe, then I remembered the feathered feet. My Marans girls also don’t have anywhere near that comb or wattle development, they are only 4 months old or so though, and I’m no expert. I would guess Rock.

Back
Top Bottom