Black Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by barra060, Aug 25, 2013.

1. barra060

barra060 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    My father in law decided to downgrade the size of his flock and gave my family most of them. They're a mix of barred rocks and what I was told were black rock hens. The roo is also the black rock. Are the black rocks the same as black sex links? What is the tell-tale sign to sex them at birth? Does the lineage/sex linking continue when a black sex link roo mates with a a black sex link hen? What do you get when a barred rock mates with the roo? Thanks for any help.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Black Rocks are a standardized bantam chicken breed (just a black version of the Barred Plymouth Rock bantam), but "Black Rock" is also another name for a hybrid, sex-linked chicken. I am not sure if they are exactly the same as a Black Sex-Link, but I think that they are similar. Black sex-links are a cross between a Rhode Island Red rooster and Barred Rock hen. The male chicks will have a white spot on their head at hatch, while female chicks will not. And no, the sex-linking characteristic does not continue when two Black Sex-links breed with each other; because they're a hybrid, the second-generation chicks will not share the same features as their parents. I'm not sure what will happen if a Barred Rock mates with a Black-Sex Link rooster.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  3. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    I will do my best to answer these questions not 100% accuracy.

Are the black rocks the same as black sex links? yes
    http://poultrykeeper.com/chicken-breeds/black-rock-chickens

What is the tell-tale sign to sex them at birth?
    Black Sex-Links are produced using a Barred Rock as the mother. Both sexes hatch out black, but the males have a white dot on their heads. Pullets feather out black with some red in neck feathers. Males feather out with the Barred Rock pattern along with a few red feathers. Black Sex-Links are often referred to as Rock Reds.
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

Does the lineage/sex linking continue when a black sex link roo mates with a a black sex link hen?
    NO
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/214692/do-sex-links-breed-true

What do you get when a barred rock mates with the roo?
    You will get a mix of black ones and barred ones might have some red leakage in the feathers as well.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Quote:X2,i'm not sure what will happen if a barred rock mates with a black sex link rooster, now I am curious

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Quote:I wondered, but where is the red leakage coming from?

6. lilliesanchicks

Feb 14, 2013
  7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Quote:O ya, I knew that. I was just thinking a barred male and an al black female, where did the red come from. Wasnt thinkig back far enough lol (i have my moments)

8. lilliesanchicks

Feb 14, 2013
    Its a lot of information to process ,even though I know it I still have to go back and verify the info again just to be sure.

9. barra060

barra060 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I should know at the end of this week what I have. Mutts is my best guess. I have 6 in the gator right now. Actually 7 but candling makes me think one died, as the rest are all near black inside.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Quote:What does the egg look like that you think is dead. It could just be developing a little slower than the others. It all just depends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by