Black Rose Combs, Completive in the show ring?(Pics added pg 3)

I asked him if he had a roo or pair he would sell me and he did not mention any, so I guess I will hatch out some eggs and see how they look. I would still rather have a better roo though.
roll.png

Oh, it's so unfortunate, but black rosecombs certainly have a tough time at shows. You see, the black rosecomb competes in the rose comb, clean leg class. A lot depends on where the show takes place (some regions have certain breeds that do better than others). There are the wyandottes, which do well here in Missouri, d'Anvers, Sebrights, and in some places, the hamburg and the RIR. It is not to say that the rose comb cannot win, but chances are there will be plenty of the other breeds there to choose from and compete against each other.

Msbear, that is one fine looking bird.

Well, I now on the hunt for something that Loren can show and has a chance of winning with. Must be a bantam, must be clean legged and must be friendly. Prefered no dubbing and black, but we will take what we can get.
Maybe bantam Ameracuanas?
idunno.gif

L&Schickens :

Well, I now on the hunt for something that Loren can show and has a chance of winning with. Must be a bantam, must be clean legged and must be friendly. Prefered no dubbing and black, but we will take what we can get.
Maybe bantam Ameracuanas?
idunno.gif

Errr.... I'd stay away from Ameraucanas in the bantams for show. They go against the polish, cornish, buckeye and will never beat a good Araucana. Granted, there will be fewer birds in that class than four other the others (Moderns will have smaller numbers in many of the small shows). There are still a lot of good birds. The toughest class of all bantams aroundmy area is the OEG.Highly competitive and since you do not want the dubbing that is one less thing to worry about.​

I noticed on his face he has some white leaking onto it from his earlobes. Since you are basically on the coast you have all of the good breeders over there so take advantage of it. I know there are some amazing black OEGB and black moderns for sure. Maybe contact Brian Decker.
Steve Waters has some amazing black araucana bantams. Dr. Al Watts has some good moderns. The Gibersons have great black wyandottes. I dont know if they are still around but Gary and Lisa Cree have good black japs and black rosecombs. I can send you their contact info if you'd like. There are also the feather footed people with silkies and cochins that are black but if I remember correctly you dont like feather footed birds.

Back
Top Bottom