Black Sex-link cockerels/pullets

digitS'

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 12, 2007
ID/WA border
We got a few extra chicks along with our Australorps the other day
smile.png
. I'm fairly confident that they are Black Sex-links. I've heard good things about these birds
smile.png
so it isn't a terrible thing that they came along as guests. All the chicks are about 2 weeks old.

These are odd questions but I'm wondering about the sex of the sex-links . . . I have zero experience other than than having seen Black Sex-link hens - never roosters, never chicks.

The 3 birds in question seem to be losing the white spot on the top of their heads. So now I'm wondering if one in particular had the spot when he/she showed up about 4 days ago. The wing feathers of all have barring.

1. Do the males lose the white spot?
2. Do both sexes have the wing bars?
3. What difference is there after they feather out?
I'm confused . . .
idunno.gif

Steve

Those are males. Thats the dif. in the chicks with black sexlinks, males are black with a white dot on the head while females hatch all black with maybe a bit of red on the throat.

Hens feather out black and red and roosters feather out barred.

Looks like the hatchery added them as males for warmth.

Yeah, I can't quite think of them as "packing peanuts," Fancyfowl, but I was hoping at least one would be a hen.

Kind of funny, I had a Rhode Island rooster and then had Barred Rock hens. I don't think it ever occured to me back then that a RIR x BR offspring would have been a good choice as a laying hen - with added sexing benefits.

Steve's digits scratching noggin'

I have 6 black sex links, all hens. 3 are completely black and 3 have red going up their chests, throats and over their neck and heads. None of mine ever had a white spot on their head, so I am assuming yours are all males.Get some females and start your own little flock, you will have more eggs that you know what to do with.They are very good producers.

This is good to know..I have a black sex link hen and she is just the sweetest little chick ever...so i my red sex link. They both are the first to come to me when I put my hand in the brooder. I didn't realize that the black sex links had a white spot on the head. how in the world do you tell them and the barred rocks apart as chicks?

Anyone want two more black sex link hens??
tongue.png
I only have two and they are the meanest birds in my flock. They have been since they were babies. They never come near me unless they want to peck me. Even my RIRs and BO's don't like them. They are pretty though...and after seeing the above pictures, I'm glad they are hens because I was beginning to wonder!

I knew the hens were pretty but I've gotta say: there's nothing homely about that rooster either
smile.png

The Black Australorps are always curious, friendly chicks but these BS-L were the 1st to do everything since I got them. Of course, if they are the cockerels and the BA's are the pullets, the smidgeon extra of testosterone may be the reason.

Steve

So, if I cross my New Hampshire ROO with my Barred Rock HEN, I get BLACK SEX-LINK chicks,

and if i cross my New Hampshire ROO with a Salmon Faverolle HEN, I get RED SEX-LINK chicks,

is that right?

Sounds easy enough! A great way to determine how to sell them in spring!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom