1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

black sex link,good breed or not?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by countrymomma008, May 13, 2015.

1. countrymomma008

countrymomma008 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2015
    kansas city.ks
    Im excited to see how my little ones become,I have 7 but four different breeds,there little personality are starting to bloom and they all seem real sweet.bought my black sex link tonight she was a little thin bout she was in a cage with a bunch with barely any food so im hoping she perks up and gains weight.

2. vchicks

vchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    Westchester County, NY
    We have 4 black stars in a mixed flock of 16. Our friendliest chick is Wanda (now 6 weeks), one of the black stars. She is the first to come and greet us when we approach the coop or the run and was the first chick in the brooder to come out and perch on my teenage son's forearm, endearing the chicks to him and ensuring his continued help caring for the them!

3. countrymomma008

May 9, 2015
    kansas city.ks
    Yea my girls say goodnight to them every night and play with them alot!I told them they had to continue to help even when they are all grown up

4. vchicks

vchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    Westchester County, NY
    Best of luck!

5. countrymomma008

May 9, 2015
    kansas city.ks
    Thank u!

6. tigerchick

tigerchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2015
    Of my 15 mixed flock, my black star is my favorite. I think its a rooster. Not sure about that yet. I call it a him and named him Snoop.

7. tigerchick

tigerchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2015
    Ok it's now official.
    Snoop is a rooster. I woke ip this morning and he and one of my red rangers was crowing.
    I just hope his personality does not change because he is my most affectionate chicken.
    Keeping fingers crossed!!!

8. countrymomma008

May 9, 2015
    kansas city.ks
    Wow!good luck!

9. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Does he have barred plumage and have white spot on his head as a chick? That's how you know if a Sex-Link is a male. Some dominant hens can try to crow.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  10. countrymomma008

May 9, 2015
    kansas city.ks
    Phew glad I got an all black there was some in the group she was with had white on their heads

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by