Black Sex Link losing feathers

May 9, 2019
Herriman, Utah
Hi, I just have a question. I live in Utah, is it normal for a young hen to be losing her feathers this late in the year? She just has a lot of new feather shafts all over her body, so they're not really growing back, but she seems happy and healthy otherwise.
Am I missing something in their feed? I give them 16% protien layer mash, oyster shells, seeds, and usually ground alfalfa but I haven't been doing that recently. I also give them mealworms as a treat.
The wild birds keep sneaking into my coop, could the stress from that be part of the problem (if it is a problem and not just me being paranoid)?
What can I do for her if her feathers don't grow back before it gets really cold?

How old? Chickens molt from August through generally December in the northern hemisphere. Each molts on it's own schedule. It take generally anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months depending on the bird.

It's best to switch off a layer during the molt. You can feed a non medicated starter grower or an All Flock ration. Provide a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs of any that are laying.

How old? Chickens molt from August through generally December in the northern hemisphere. Each molts on it's own schedule. It take generally anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months depending on the bird.

It's best to switch off a layer during the molt. You can feed a non medicated starter grower or an All Flock ration. Provide a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs of any that are laying.

Not sure exactly, probably around two or three? I dunno. :hmm
The other three have molted already, but none of them are laying at the moment for some reason? Probably because it's getting cold and during the summer I was battling mites, so that most likely stressed the poor things out.
I tried to switch to a regular crumble, but they insist on eating the layer mash. I'll look at my other options though, thanks! :D

Hi, I just have a question. I live in Utah, is it normal for a young hen to be losing her feathers this late in the year? She just has a lot of new feather shafts all over her body, so they're not really growing back, but she seems happy and healthy otherwise.
Am I missing something in their feed? I give them 16% protien layer mash, oyster shells, seeds, and usually ground alfalfa but I haven't been doing that recently. I also give them mealworms as a treat.
The wild birds keep sneaking into my coop, could the stress from that be part of the problem (if it is a problem and not just me being paranoid)?
What can I do for her if her feathers don't grow back before it gets really cold?
Your bird is most likely just molting it’s like shedding. I just had a hen molt and she’s AOK now. No worries

Not sure exactly, probably around two or three? I dunno. :hmm
The other three have molted already, but none of them are laying at the moment for some reason? Probably because it's getting cold and during the summer I was battling mites, so that most likely stressed the poor things out.
I tried to switch to a regular crumble, but they insist on eating the layer mash. I'll look at my other options though, thanks! :D
It's about length of day, not temperature.
They start laying again after they recover from molting and the days get longer starting Dec 21st.

Did you get rid of the mites?

What is "regular crumble"?
What is the protein and calcium percentages(on tag sewn to bottom of bag)?
Take away the layer mash and they will eat the other when they get hungry enough,
maybe grind some of the crumble in a blender so it's the same consistency.

Back
Top Bottom