Black Sex-Link pullets or Barred Rock pullets?

Is there any way to determine the sex of Barred Rock chicks based on the coloring? To be honest, I can't recall if the label on the brooder said: "Barred Rock" or "Barred Rock Pullets" because I'm only interested in sex-linked chicks, after my first purchase that turned out to be 10 roosters, so now I have no idea of these will be pullets.
no

They are not BSL pullets.
I'm gonna say they're barred rocks and hopefully for you all pullets.
BSL cockerels do look like that but I can't imagine they had a brooder full of BSL cockerels and labeled pullets.
I hope they are all pullets because I don't need meat birds, I need more egg layers, but it wouldn't surprise me because the first time I got 10 "pullets" from this store, they were all cockerels. I'm sure you can imagine they didn't get along once they became adults. :-(

A sorta kinda method is females have a smaller head spot and more black wash on the front of their legs.
Males have bigger head spots and almost clear yellow legs.

I hope they are all pullets because I don't need meat birds, I need more egg layers, but it wouldn't surprise me because the first time I got 10 "pullets" from this store, they were all cockerels. I'm sure you can imagine they didn't get along once they became adults. :-(
Holey moley, 10 roos, that's a mess. I think you have barred rocks here. I did have a Black Sex Link female with slight barring though, and all 3 BSL females looked slightly different.

Holey moley, 10 roos, that's a mess. I think you have barred rocks here. I did have a Black Sex Link female with slight barring though, and all 3 BSL females looked slightly different.
Yes, it was a BIG disappointment to have 10 Roosters after 20ish weeks of raising them, and then the fighting that started after that was unbelievable at times! I did my best and removed them one by one, as soon as possible, starting with the lowest on the pecking order, and that seemed to help. Now we only have two roosters from the original ten and they get along great! It was definitely a good learning experience but I don't want to do it again! One of the lessons that repeated is the night before I was giving a couple of roosters away, they would make sure to get into a big fight so I wouldn't think about giving them to anyone in their current condition (it would always happen when it was raining so they would be covered in mud from head to toe). Then I would have to wash them off, isolate them until they dried off and looked more presentable, and then start the process over. This is why I wanted to make sure the 6 chicks that I just got are pullets because that was a TON of extra work that I don't want to deal with again!

On a positive note, I keep checking all of the wing feathers on these chicks and their wings definitely look like pullets. I just wish they laid more eggs like my ISA Browns and Cinnamon Queens and I really want some black chickens. The first batch of roos, 5 of them were supposed to be Black Australorp pullets, so I have been trying to add some black chickens to my flock for over a year! They are so beautiful and I think the hawks will mistake the black chickens for Crows, which will help keep my flock safer! :D

I love mixed flocks. These are our original ladies.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210425-043743_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210425-043743_Facebook.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 22
I love mixed flocks. These are our original ladies.
I love mixed flocks too! Their personalities are all so different and unique between the individuals and the breeds. I think my ISA Browns are definitely the sweetest and most trusting, then the Cinnamon Queens, and these baby Barred Rocks are very skittish compared to the other chicks at this age. I really want the Black Australorps and Black Sex-Links that I ordered. I think those two breeds have the most beautiful colors! Looks like I'll have to try again! LOL

Is that a Silver-laced Wyandotte and a Buff Orpington in your picture? We have a Silver-laced Wyandotte rooster and a Buff Orpington rooster. I love the colors of the Silver-Laced birds too!

Last edited:
I need help identifying these chicks. I just purchased them from my local Tractor Supply and they were in a brooder with the labels Barred Rock pullets and Black sex-linked pullets, but the associate didn't know which was which. I told her that I only want black sex-linked pullets because the last 10 pullets that I bought from them turned out to be 10 roosters and I can't raise any more roosters here (I still have two from the first batch of 10)!

I began doing more research on the black sex-linked chicks when I got home and it seems the males will have a white spot on their head and the females will be all black on the head, beak, and legs... Please tell me that these are not cockerels! Can anyone positively identify the sex and breed of these little chicks? I can't go through what I went through the last time and I NEED more egg layers. Thank you so much in advance! I have been reading your forum for years before I actually started raising chickens and I love this community! :)

View attachment 2624490View attachment 2624491
Hi I purchased 3 supposedly "jersey giants" from our local tractor supply about 3 weeks ago .. now I have 2 sex linked pullets (almost 100% sure) and one (that looked exactly like yours) that I was told could be a barred rock but now that I am doing more research could be a sex linked cockerel! Worried bc I cant have roosters and already trying to rehome a golden laced sebright bantam! Curious as to what yours look like now? Posting a group picture now of some of my chicks but plan on doing another post with individual photos.

Attachments

• 20210501_141040.jpg
    20210501_141040.jpg
    589.1 KB · Views: 19
I love mixed flocks too! Their personalities are all so different and unique between the individuals and the breeds. I think my ISA Browns are definitely the sweetest and most trusting, then the Cinnamon Queens, and these baby Barred Rocks are very skittish compared to the other chicks at this age. I really want the Black Australorps and Black Sex-Links that I ordered. I think those two breeds have the most beautiful colors! Looks like I'll have to try again! LOL

Is that a Silver-laced Wyandotte and a Buff Orpington in your picture? We have a Silver-laced Wyandotte rooster and a Buff Orpington rooster. I love the colors of the Silver-Laced birds too!
Yep! Right on both. Oreo and Buttercup :)

Hi I purchased 3 supposedly "jersey giants" from our local tractor supply about 3 weeks ago .. now I have 2 sex linked pullets (almost 100% sure) and one (that looked exactly like yours) that I was told could be a barred rock but now that I am doing more research could be a sex linked cockerel! Worried bc I cant have roosters and already trying to rehome a golden laced sebright bantam! Curious as to what yours look like now? Posting a group picture now of some of my chicks but plan on doing another post with individual photos.
I just went and picked up 6 more black sexed link pullets on Friday and finally integrated them with the original 6 that I think are Barred Rocks. Let me know if you need more photos. It's great having a variety pack, so you can easily tell which one is which while they are growing up. It's much harder with 6 of the same breed!

Attachments

• 20210503_194759.jpg
    20210503_194759.jpg
    917.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210503_154353.jpg
    20210503_154353.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210503_154341.jpg
    20210503_154341.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom