Black sex link using pullets from the Dominant C Z company!!!!!

Always interesting when you bring up breeds or hybrids.
Most of us are in the US and the birds available over there where you're at seem to be worlds apart from what we have over here.
Two of the dominate cz hybrids have made it here in the states this year.
Hatcheries here are calling them sapphire gems and calico princess.

The company dominant c z has two types of black sex link pullets. They are both available in Greece. I had them both!

One of them is black with silver lacings.

I just checked and they are the Dominant Black D-149 Daisybelle.

Light Sussex rooster over Barred Rock Hens... the Females will be E/eWh Co/co+ S/- basically an Heterozigous Black hen that is partially restricted thanks to Heterozygous Columbian(Co/co+) and aided by the Wheaten gene that is weakening the effect of Extended black(Homozygous Columbian Co has no effect on Homozygous Extended Black )

DominantBlackD149Daisybelle.JPG

Ohhh so interesting!!!!!!

But, I think their father is not a pure light Sussex rooster because his legs are yellow.

Light Sussex has shorter legs, white to pinkish legs, is much heavier and has much more black in the neck feathers.

I was using dominant cz chickens for many years. They have three fantastic strains of the LEGHORN!!!!

The white pearl, the most common one!
The brown, my favorite one.
And the columbian, one of the rarest in the world.

My aunt is a professional pharmer, she has about 300 sheep, 7 royal palm turkeys, 30 white leghorn hens(I think hy-line r98), one white cochin hen, 3 black australorp roosters and a crested greek katsouliera vlacha hen 13 ys old, who is part from the greek pharming history but is now a disappeared breed!!!

She sells hatching eggs of australorp X leghorn and she is going to sell some hatching eggs of black sex links too.

I adore color sex link because it gives us the power to K N O W the sex of the chick, but I am so sad of the massive killing of the males of big companies.

They are great layers (about 6 eggs a week) if they eat protein (soy, oat seeds, sunseeds, boiled eggs, insects, warms). They lay less and rest their bodies if they don't eat much protein (corn, weed).
If they eat protein every day they lay about 6 eggs a week for 30-36 months and then they lay only about 1-2 eggs a month.
I have a black sex link bantam who is 8 and a half years old and still lays eggs, especially in the spring, because I didn't give her protein every day and she didn't burn out.
They continue laying in the heat and in the winter too because the heritage barred plymouth rock (their mother or grandfather) is a great winter layer.

Last edited:
But, I think their father is not a pure light Sussex rooster because his legs are yellow.
You need to keep in mind that these are Production type breeds, skin color is the least of their priority, I have had production type leghorns with white and yellow skins, they all produced exceptionally despite their skin color

Maybe sometimes the deep yellow color of the skin is drained to give color to the yolk of the egg.
And leghorns were, are and will be the best layers. Laying much the yellow color of their legs is drained to give color to the yolk.

I think that the strain dominant c z uses is a Columbian Plymouth rock breed, but they call it Sussex because of the similarity in the color pattern and maybe for marketing reasons too.

The same company calls Sussex even her strain of columbian leghorns, I think again for marketing reasons.

Yes
@Thomas Lamprogiorgos
Do you or anyone you know have experience with Dominant CZ's
DOMINANT Blue D 107?
She is an excellent layer of pinkish brown eggs!!! She is a blue sex link chicken based on crosses of splash plymouth rock roosters and barred Plymouth rock hens.
The roosters are blue barred, great fryers and pets.

She doesn't have the copper color of the blue feathered hybrid layers based on crosses of andalusians and marans with the rhode island reds. These are not sexed by feather color.

But, in my opinion, it is much better to choose Andalusian, which is a great layer too, but tends to be more rare, has a better food to egg conversion ratio and is much more capable of finding its protein by free ranging.

It has to do with the weather and the climate too.

Domianant Blue D 107 is a better choice than the Andalusian in extremely cold, while Andalusian is the best of the best in extreme heat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom