Black Sexlink Hen..loosing so many feathers!!!!

tarabrz

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 24, 2012
Hello,

I plan on posting a picture tomorrow but was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on this issue. I have a very healthy 1.5 year old hen who all of the sudden has begun to loose so many feathers. I thought at first maybe she was molting but now she has lost so many, I am worried she is going to get cold and sick!! It looks like where the feathers are missing there are new quills coming in but I am not positive. She has even lost all of her tail feathers! Does anyone have any hints or ideas what this might be? I will definitely post pictures tomorrow but its too dark out right now to take them. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. I hope she doesnt have anything wrong with her!

Thank you

My soft black CoChin moved with such Speed, as to lose nearly all Feathers at one Time. Your Hen may be molting in a similar Way. An Immage would be desir'd to confirm this Theory.

She's 18 months old. That is when they normally moult. Losing many, most or all of the feathers is dependent on the individual bird. She sounds entirely normal. They are uncomfortable and prickly and don't want to to be touched during this period. She'll be fine. This is all just natural. She'll have her new feathers, all fluffy and nice in time for the real cold of winter. Again, nature's way.

You can help. Feed a much higher level of protein than normal. Pull the layer feed. She doesn't need the calcium, as her laying will plummet or slow dramatically. Buy some Game Bird feed at 26% protein and this will help her re-grow her feathers, as feathers are basically protein. Some folks feed cat food or tuna fish, meat scraps, recycled eggs and other high protein additions as well.

Last edited:
Well is it ok for her to still eat the laying mash? She is in with 16 other chickens and i cant really separate them for meals and if i put it in there the others will probably eat it too???

She's 18 months old. That is when they normally moult. Losing many, most or all of the feathers is dependent on the individual bird. She sounds entirely normal. They are uncomfortable and prickly and don't want to to be touched during this period. She'll be fine. This is all just natural. She'll have her new feathers, all fluffy and nice in time for the real cold of winter. Again, nature's way.

You can help. Feed a much higher level of protein than normal. Pull the layer feed. She doesn't need the calcium, as her laying will plummet or slow dramatically. Buy some Game Bird feed at 26% protein and this will help her re-grow her feathers, as feathers are basically protein. Some folks feed cat food or tuna fish, meat scraps, recycled eggs and other high protein additions as well.
Maybe that why my moulters are all wanting nothing but the 27% turkey starter.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet and not everything you read here on BYC. People post what they know and often what they don't know. It is a public forum.
But it was on the net, so it must be true, lol.
lau.gif

Hello,

I plan on posting a picture tomorrow but was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on this issue. I have a very healthy 1.5 year old hen who all of the sudden has begun to loose so many feathers. I thought at first maybe she was molting but now she has lost so many, I am worried she is going to get cold and sick!! It looks like where the feathers are missing there are new quills coming in but I am not positive. She has even lost all of her tail feathers! Does anyone have any hints or ideas what this might be? I will definitely post pictures tomorrow but its too dark out right now to take them. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. I hope she doesnt have anything wrong with her!

Thank you
I had several that looked like plucked chickens a couple of weeks ago and now they look very strange with all of their new feathers coming in. I read somwhere that BYC was doing an ugly moult picture contest.

Back
Top Bottom