Black silkie hen wont lay eggs?

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
20210410_080819.jpg

The black chicken is my girl Shadow. My white rooster is Koa and the white hen is Peaches. Shadow went to an FFA fair recently, and before that she was broody and extremely underweight. She is still growing some final feathers on her keel but other than that she has no stress. Is there anything I can do to help her lay again? Peaches has laid an egg every other day. Yes I only have 2 hens, I have 1 rooster. I take out Koa for an hour a day to let shadow and peaches relax without him annoying them. Shadow sticks up for herself and he loves mating with peaches. Is there anything I can do to help shadow relax if she is stressed? Thanks!(Shadow has not layed an egg since she went brooder, about a little over a month ago)(Yes, they all get 14 hours of sunlight a day as well)

View attachment 2609707
The black chicken is my girl Shadow. My white rooster is Koa and the white hen is Peaches. Shadow went to an FFA fair recently, and before that she was broody and extremely underweight. She is still growing some final feathers on her keel but other than that she has no stress. Is there anything I can do to help her lay again? Peaches has laid an egg every other day. Yes I only have 2 hens, I have 1 rooster. I take out Koa for an hour a day to let shadow and peaches relax without him annoying them. Shadow sticks up for herself and he loves mating with peaches. Is there anything I can do to help shadow relax if she is stressed? Thanks!(Shadow has not layed an egg since she went brooder, about a little over a month ago)(Yes, they all get 14 hours of sunlight a day as well)
And yes she won the fair!

How long was she broody? It takes quite a while for a fully brooding female to start laying. I'm lucky to get two batches from my more productive hens every year
She was really stressed. She is a very good girl and simply clucked at me and never attacked me when she was on the eggs. She was a first time mom so 5 out of 9 eggs died sadly but the 4 are well and living in my garage and I play with them everyday. She lost all of her bottom feathers, you could see her crop and everything. When I picked her up when she was 2 weeks broody I was startled because of how skinny she felt. She had more feather than meat or even bones. I bought an incubator and got her off the nest immediately and fed her all up and everything. She is much happier now with Koa and Peaches. They attacked her a lot but I made sure it didn't get bloody. She still has not laid an egg yet

She was really stressed. She is a very good girl and simply clucked at me and never attacked me when she was on the eggs. She was a first time mom so 5 out of 9 eggs died sadly but the 4 are well and living in my garage and I play with them everyday. She lost all of her bottom feathers, you could see her crop and everything. When I picked her up when she was 2 weeks broody I was startled because of how skinny she felt. She had more feather than meat or even bones. I bought an incubator and got her off the nest immediately and fed her all up and everything. She is much happier now with Koa and Peaches. They attacked her a lot but I made sure it didn't get bloody. She still has not laid an egg yet
She'll probably take another few weeks. Once they settle into brooding, it puts a half on their egg laying, so they have to slowly restart

Back
Top Bottom