Black silkies

Quote:
I do have an assorted color pen I also have color pens of (Just white) (Just black &Blue) ( Just Partridge). I like a assorted color pen and have kept one since I began with silkies. I am going to be defensive when someone suggests I don't breed for quality because I keep a assorted color pen.

The black roo I was refering too with the gold in his neck is in my black & blue pen.

I'm just getting started too and and building my flock. I'm trying to be picky, but it is hard finding "show quality" birds. I figure its because no one wants to get rid of any that are that nice, and I don't blame them!!! I've been able to get my hands on a couple that were from NICE stock, so I'm excited to see what they grow into. They definitely have potential.

Of course one of the babies that I have high hopes for turned out to be a pullet instead of a cockeral!
lol.png
(I'm probably the only person on the planet that was not very happy about that discovery!) Just because I had purchased these two nice HENS, now I need a nice roo! Hahaha!

Anyone have any straight black roos for sale?
lol.png

ChickenPox~~I know you're in GA, but don't know what part....there's a show being held in Dalton,GA next weekend, if thats near you. There will be Silkies for sale and an opportunity to meet other Silkie breeders

onthespot - I would actually be ok with that! I'm fine with breeding quality since I"m just getting started and all.

BCS - I didn't realize there was a show next weekend! I went to Newnan a couple weeks ago and met some folks. It was my first show ever and I'm totally in love! That's where I got my nice pullets. My daughter and I just love the blacks.

Which I guess leads me to a question.....

I want BLACKS not splits. Since I am unsure of genetics still, if I were to get a black roo from a split breeding, would he always breed true to black? I am not looking to make splash or blue right now. So I wasn't sure if the genetics would mean that the black is dominant and that bird would always throw black when paired with a black or not..... If he would always breed true, then I guess it wouldn't matter if I were to get a black from a BBS pen. I just am unsure!

Quote:
If you get a black from a BBS pen yes he would breed true. Black to black is 100% black but you need to know if he is a true black and not a really dark blue..

Ditto on the "really dark blue" thing. There are silkies that have "off black down" and sort of a sooty black flight feathes but mostly "blackish" plumage, but they produce blue. If you are looking for a black rooster, and want to be SURE you are not getting blue, I would look for one with black down, and shafts of the feathers that are black all the way to the base.

Hmmmm, great points! Since I am so new to all this, I'm not sure what to look for. So I will make sure I just get a black out of a straight black pen. Sellers are usually honest about this, right? I would hope so!
idunno.gif

Dark blues are annoying.
lol.png
The girl in my avatar is dark blue, but when she was younger the seller wasn't completely sure. The biggest difference I see between her and my blacks is the rear end. Blacks have pure black butt feathering but her's is a lighter blue.

ChickenPox most people are honest . the problem is they really don't know the difference --- they only know what someone else told them and they keep that as their truth . If you want blks make sure they are blk all over even their under fluff . When I first started I was that person my self . I trusted what the seller had told me only to discover it was incorrect information . under fluff on a blk chick isn"t usally lighter it is blk if they are true blk . Blacks are getting tougher to find that"s why I started this thread to get more interest growing with them . I find shows are the best place to get good breeding stock . you can see what the breeder has to offer . just my thoughts --- Tammy

Back
Top Bottom