Black silkies

lol.png
love it! dancing silkies...those birds are amazing...the wait is long for those I know, but time flies when youre having fun, right? I have one black chick hatched from Catdance eggs. Finally!!!!

Quote:
Oh I sooooo no what you mean lol.... I have also been looking for a great blk roo for FOREVER and I jsut bought a very very young one that I am hopeing turns out great. So far so good but.... No leaky I hope ha!
I have lots of blk males in my grow out pen so if your not in a hurry hit me up in a few months and I am sure that I can help you out
but they are from my paint/blk breeding so????

Cute pics Jen (TinyBirds). The girls look like they are having a blast!

Just getting back to hatching again after a huge setback. The fan/motor on my incubator fried and I lost 3 weeks worth of eggs that were in there. It took another 2 weeks for parts to get here and another week for electrician to get it fixed. 2 more weeks worth of ruined eggs after that because the temps weren't holding steady. I'm finally seeing some life at the end of the tunnel.

One of my 4-H girls is now cutting down on birds and I'm getting a couple of my black boys from last year back. One of them has gold in the hackles but has beautiful body type. The other is still at her place and I have to get a closer look when I pick him up. It was too darn hot this week and I didn't feel like getting pics of birds panting.
Amy

What beautiful black silkies everyone has. Love the dancing girls.
smile.png

This is one of my favorite black silkies. He is really much darker than this, but I had to lighten the whole picture to see the detail. His name is Hoppy and he is 5 years old.

5531_picturesjan2011_122.jpg

Here he is showing off one of his best features.
tongue.png
He is just a sweetheart though.

5531_picturesjan2011_203.jpg

Last edited:
Another (black?)silkie of mine. I think really dk dk blue with brown highlights. Is it a blue if the underfluff is blue and the outer feathers are black? Well I am learning a lot from this thread. Interesting stuff.

5531_img_0308.jpg

Quote:
Awww, he's adorable! Most of our favorites (of all breeds) are roosters too! We lost our very favorite rooster (hatchery barred rock) to a predator a couple weeks ago, and we're still missing him every day. I can't believe you have any bird that's 5 yrs old! That's amazing! Our oldest is around 2 now (a cochin bantam rooster) and I can't believe how long his spurs are. I had a dream the other night that a little girl picked him up and then screamed in terror when she saw he had knives on his legs. He is just putty in our hands though and lays back for a belly rub when we pick him up.

Oh, and on your question about the underfluff, I think most black silkies have grey underfluff. It's hard to tell between dark blue and a black that is not as melanized (or whatever it's called). At the show we went to, there were other black silkies but they had the tags changed from black to blue on some of them (not sure if the judge did that or the people showing), so it's hard to tell even for people that go to shows, unless they're a super-dark shiny black. Yours do look black to me, but I'm still learning too!

hugs.gif
Sorry about your rock. Its so hard to lose one that is especially special to us.

That was one wild dream. A man I know had a cochin roo die because he got his long spurs hung up in the wire on the side of his pen. He found him in the morning hanging upside down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom