Black silkies

So sorry for your loss Amy...I, too lost a black boy(one of yours that I got as a chick). He was a very fertile boy and I have lots of his chicks..He was fine one day and the next after monstrous heat, he was gone. Lost a white hen a couple of days later. Thankful that is all I have lost. Have 4 fans and misters in the pens.....
sad.png

Quote:
I feel for them. Breeding hogs is a TON of work. A lot harder than a chicken. I can't even imagine 6,000 piglets.

Amy, So sorry to hear about your hen.

We lost our best lavender hen AND our best black hen two weeks ago to the heat as well.

We are crushed. We breed in such small quantities that ever hen is vital, loved and important to us and our breeding program.

Sigh... again, so sorry to hear.

~ Darling Farms

Quote:
WOW!!! So Sorry to hear about everyone's losses
hugs.gif
I cant even imaging losses that big poor farmers
hugs.gif
I have been very fortunate that the new place comes with an oak shade canopy. My babies are loving their new digs and I and having a blast. Going from a small yard in the city to 5 acres has been so much fun. So far we have added pigs and new baby goats to the mix. And lucky enough my neighbors are both vets.
yippiechickie.gif

Got a break today. Temps are still supposed to be in the low 90's, but humidity went down so we lost that sauna effect. Got e-mails from the MN Board of Animal Health yesterday.... All livestock producers got friendly tips on how to cope with the heat and reminded of the proper ways to dispose of carcasses.

I lost one of my only 3 lavender chicks to the heat on Tues. It's so sad to see the poor chickens panting and holding their wings out. I een hae a NN pullet that is so uncomfortable she is laying down to eat. I sure hope it cools off soon.

On a lighter note, here is a pic. of my black silkie-----not sure if it's a hen or roo (leaning toward roo).

64357_goatsflowers_138.jpg

64357_goatsflowers_145.jpg

WE HAVE JUST GOT TO FIND A PLAN FOR A SIMPLE, INEXPENSIVE, ECONOMICAL SWAMP COOLER TO SAVE OUR BABIES!!!!!!

The concept is simple, it's effective in large greenhouses, we just need some brilliant person with a plan that will make a large or small one based on individual needs. I've gooogled and looked at lots of ideas, but none are easily adaptable to chicken raising and most are too complicated for the average person to make (that would be me).

I vote we give the person the HUMANITARIAN AWARD (Or would that be the CHICKENARIAN AWARD?) for coming up with the winning plan!!!!!!!!

I KNOW there are some amateur engineers out there that can figure this out....come out, come out, wherever you are!!!!!

Sorry for your loss Amy, i lost my best rosecomb hen due to the heat four or five days ago. i got her and her sister as my graduation present from my boyfriend. She was fine that morning, and dead when I came home from work.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom