Black snake invades (pic added #7)

wowmanacat

Songster
Apr 1, 2011
Oak Grove AR
I went out to my coop this morning to a 5 to 6 foot black snake on the floor of my coop. It left the way it came and I though that was the end of it, but oh no it was not. I went back a bit later to the snake in the nest box eating a plastic Easter egg. I ran in the house to call a neighbor to help but no answer, so I went back out and pinned it to the wall with the rake,by this time it had throw up the plastic egg it had ate.
I got it around the rake and took it out of the coop where I beat the every living poop out of it with the flat side of the rake, I killed it dead.

The only good snake around a chicken coop is a dead one

Tonight my husband and i are going to be doing some work on the coop to help keep snakes out of it. I hate snakes.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's fine, but remember, you'll need to rat and mouse proof the coop if you kill the snakes. I tolerate a couple of rat and black snakes- the greedy ones get to go to a nature preserve to be rehomed. Non venomous snakes get to live here. Venomous ones get killed.

I hate snakes as well, but as my mother always said, "if you have snakes, it is because you have an abundance of mice. Get rid of the mice and the snakes will move on as well."
old.gif

That was the first one that I have seen since I moved here. I don't think there is much of a mouse or rat problem here for I have two cats and there are wild cats around too. As long as they stay out of my chicken coop they can be around here but the minute they are in the coop they are dead..
I know where it got in at and I have to fill it up with some rock and dirt.

I'm with you lady, a good snake is boots! (Although I have been considering snake skin riding leathers) glad we don't have them here

Maybe look into minnow traps, someone on this site has had wonderful success with them and catch multiples per night when baited with eggs. Also loosly piled deer netting is reported to be very sucessful but you have to unwrap them
sickbyc.gif

that is the first one that I have came across here at this place, but I have had others at the two other houses that I have lived at in this area.

Sorry about your snake, do remember that it eats the mice and rats though. I personally would try and proof the coop to keep the snake out but let the snake live due to his vermin controlling abilities, but I realize some people can't tolerate snakes.

PS pretty funny that he was actually trying to eat the plastic egg!
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom