Black snakes, do they kill chickens?

IggiMom

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
West Virginia
I was out mowing yesterday and a very large, perhaps 4-5 feet, Black snake slithered into the grass.
barnie.gif

I am not afraid of snakes and don't usually mind them, but I have a bunch of baby chickies and I am afraid that the snake may get them.

Do Black snakes usually eat chicks or eggs, does anyone know?

I have all these Peacocks and Guineas, I thought they were supposed to keep snakes away! Although I suppose this thing would be beyond the capabilities of a Guinea of even a Peafowl.

Catherine

Guineas will attack big snakes as well. You might get some of those fake eggs and lay them around the place. The snakes will eat them and die. Good Luck

Yes, snakes will consume eggs and baby peeps. We like the snakes as they keep rodents under control, which are a bigger threat (disease). I would say, keep the babies safe and just keep an eye out regularly for the snake accessing the chick location.

Poultry will ward off and even kill smaller snakes, but they'll typically walk away from the bigger ones.

YES!! They will eat chicks and eggs and will attack an adult to make her leave the nest. We have been battling them here. Have killed 3 in the last week. I have always been one to relocate snakes rather kill them but when you see them attacking your chicken or duck for their eggs it's a different story. We put moth balls around our chicken sheds last night, hoping it works!!

Back
Top Bottom