Hen_House04

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2023
I was in and out of the coop this evening when I almost stepped on a snake who quickly slithered in the pinestraw flower beds! šŸ˜µā€šŸ’« this is my first encounter with a snake while having chickens. I want to be cautious with what the chickens are exposed to, but I would also prefer not to have a heart attack from a crazy snake encounter or putting the chickens at risk! (Clearly I am not a fan of things that are tiny, quick and can camouflage themselves really easyšŸ«£! BLESS IT!)
Has anyone heard of or used ā€œsnake stopperā€? From what I can tell it comes in spray form or granular form. Anyone know if itā€™s harmful for chickens to breathe? The girls are not free range and stay in their coop and run all day and I would like to put this around my house and possibly a couple feet around their coop as a border. Do you think this would be a good safe idea to get rid of them or too much of a risk for the chickens? TIA!

Attachments

• 97C45C4B-7A9B-4B6C-8763-01F82BD2E037.jpeg
    97C45C4B-7A9B-4B6C-8763-01F82BD2E037.jpeg
    517.3 KB · Views: 72
Years ago i worked for a farmers cooperative and absorbed as much knowledge as I could from the old timers. Granulated Sulphur. Since snakes are cold blooded the Sulphur gives them a sort of deep sunburn when they slither across it. The old timers said it burns them enough to not cross it.

But obviously not consumable for ur birds. Line the perimeter of their coop, just make sure they DO NOT eat and is out of reach. I remember reading on a package of "snake away" back then ...in the fine print...stated intended use on rattlesnakes...not proven effective on cotton mouths or water moccasins.

I think i hear if you have rough hemp rope snakes don't like to slide over it. recently I heard something in my laundry room and when I went to look it was a 3 foot bull snake. I used tongs to get it in a box, and here is a pic of my DH removing it from the box...
1arxz.PNG

Back
Top Bottom