Black Spanish turkeys?

Eckielady

Songster
Feb 12, 2017
East Tennessee
i got these two and thought they were black Spanish but I'm starting to wonder if they're mixes. His stripes on his feathers are different and she doesn't have gray feet. Either she's a mix or she's got some blood loss going on somewhere. She's super pale.
So, BS or I was thinking maybe they're a mix between the bs and maybe the bronze heritage?

Attachments

• IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    346.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1364.JPG
    IMG_1364.JPG
    437.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1367.JPG
    IMG_1367.JPG
    441.3 KB · Views: 23
i got these two and thought they were black Spanish but I'm starting to wonder if they're mixes. His stripes on his feathers are different and she doesn't have gray feet. Either she's a mix or she's got some blood loss going on somewhere. She's super pale.
So, BS or I was thinking maybe they're a mix between the bs and maybe the bronze heritage?

There really isn't a Black Spanish anymore. The APA only recognizes a Black turkey and they can descend from more sources than Black Spanish. Many Black Slates are sold as Black Spanish and many of those are not a pure Black. Your tom is not a pure Black. He appears to be a Barred Black. A pure Black will not have barring on its wing feathers.

Thanks much. Any thoughts on the hens skin color? Just can't figure out if it's normal or if she may have bugs on her.

Her head color can change just like the tom's head color changes based on the mood at the time. All the paleness indicates to me is that she like the tom is not a pure black. As near as I can tell from the feet pics, both appear to be about the same shade.

Good luck.

According to the ALC (American Livestock Conservancy) the Spanish Black is while rare is still very much available. Conflicting information so it's hard to know who is correct

There really isn't a Black Spanish anymore. The APA only recognizes a Black turkey and they can descend from more sources than Black Spanish. Many Black Slates are sold as Black Spanish and many of those are not a pure Black. Your tom is not a pure Black. He appears to be a Barred Black. A pure Black will not have barring on its wing feathers.
I know this is from three years ago but this response is wrong. The turkeys in the photo are pure Black Turkeys which are also known as Spanish Blacks and Norfolk Black. All are names for the same variety. It is very difficult to totally eliminate the barring in the wings; however, many times with each annual molt, this slight barring will disappear. Legs are proper color. These are fairly good representations of the variety.

I know this is from three years ago but this response is wrong. The turkeys in the photo are pure Black Turkeys which are also known as Spanish Blacks and Norfolk Black. All are names for the same variety. It is very difficult to totally eliminate the barring in the wings; however, many times with each annual molt, this slight barring will disappear. Legs are proper color. These are fairly good representations of the variety.
The post quoted was in regards to APA , which still only recognize Black, not Spanish
http://amerpoultryassn.com/sample-page/apa-breeds-varieties/accepted-breeds-varieties/
Screenshot_20200528-181215.png

The post quoted was in regards to APA , which still only recognize Black, not Spanish
http://amerpoultryassn.com/sample-page/apa-breeds-varieties/accepted-breeds-varieties/
View attachment 2165265
Yes I exhibit Black Turkeys so I know what the APA calls them. In fact, I won the Turkey Extravaganza this past November with one of my Blacks and the third year in a row I won champion turkey at Ohio National with a Black cock. I maintain three separate Black lines. The exact variety is also referred to as Black Spanish and Norfolk Black in other parts of the world. Those names are synonymous with the APA’s Black Turkey and NOT referring to something different. It’s the same bird. Many American breeders of Blacks affectionately call their Spanish Blacks based upon their history, fwiw.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom