Black specks on her comb?

andythescot

Songster
11 Years
Nov 29, 2009
Central Mass
One of my RIRs has a VERY LARGE comb, and for a few weeks I've noticed a few black specks on it. I decided not to worry about it too much because she is acting fine. But today I picked her up to take a closer look. I thought it was dirt, so I tried to wipe it/pick it off. When I picked off an especially large piece at the base, it was like I picked off a scab, and there was a little blood underneath.

What are these dots?! Is she sick? Should I buy some medicine for her?

Sometimes they have black specks on their comb or wattles if they have been pecking at each other a little. It also could be fowl pox, which would appear as spots on the comb and/or wattles. You can look up images of fowl pox on google (I just did) and that might help you to decide what you are looking at.

I don't think its fowl pox, but upon closer inspection, all the rest of the flock have it too. Except for one EE who just has a lot of greyish dirt stuck in the folds of her comb. Is it important to clean combs regularly?

I live in Massachusetts if it helps.

Here are some pictures, sorry they aren't great quality, I had to use my computer's camera because our real camera is on a trip right now. Its hard to see them, but they are there. I'll post better pictures when I get the chance.

Photo106.jpg

Photo104.jpg

Photo103.jpg

Photo102.jpg

I don't see anything in those pics that looks like pox. The black spots are probably just scabs - from picking at each other. The one you noticed first may be at the bottom of the pecking order and getting picked on a little more than the rest.

Yea, thats the part that doesn't make sense.. she is smack dab in the middle of the pecking order! Plus I hardly ever see any pecking going on, and when there is, its from alpha hen to omega hen.

Occasionally mites can cause black spots, but it doesn't look like that.

Doesn't look at all like pox.

I wouldn't worry,

Sandie

Back
Top Bottom