Black spot in incubating egg

Ae00629

In the Brooder
May 23, 2022
Hi everyone! New chicken owner here and I’m incubating my first batch of eggs. One egg has a black spot on the inside of the yolk (see pic attached). Chick is alive and moving around on the other side and the few times I’ve candled it, the black spot hasn’t moved. After I took this picture, I drew a circle around the border of the spot to see if it grows. Is this something I should be worried about? Thanks!

Attachments

• 28618251-5768-4E24-8456-135FBAE13CFF.jpeg
    28618251-5768-4E24-8456-135FBAE13CFF.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 76
Did you candle before you started incubation?
No. I received these eggs and an incubator from a lady who decided to “get out of” chickens. I didn’t know until after that the eggs she gave me were already being set on by a couple hens. So I had one incubator with 14 eggs at different stages of development, and she couldn’t even tell me how far along she thought they were. I went and bought a second incubator to separate the most developed from least developed. So I’m not sure if the egg in question has had this spot since the beginning

I would put it back in the incubator and keep a close eye on it. If the egg had been set on by the chicken maybe it started and then quit? Or maybe it's still going. Worth putting it back and seeing what happens I think. Not much else you can do at this point. Looks like there are veins all around it.

Back
Top Bottom