Black spots and scabs on cockerel

My2butterflies

Crowing
Apr 14, 2020
Minnesota
My boy Roofus has lots of black spots on his comb and some yellowish scabs on his wattles. The black spots I’d guess are from pecking. Are the scabs also likely to just be from pecking/biting?
I took some pictures from different angles to hopefully help.
B8A045C0-CDBA-4D25-B48D-E51DEBFD9F40.jpeg
EB605074-F669-4FFA-9A9A-DAA9D5392994.jpeg
40F0A35A-6F78-4BC5-A5E0-9C70C00A66C3.jpeg
E1DFAF47-23E8-4B34-A04D-B9FC577060B1.jpeg
3AE2D32F-8D5D-44BD-9550-56A08585CAD1.png

Oh, and if it makes a difference I’m currently treating the flock/coop with permethrin for northern fowl mites. I did see him shake his head a few times while I was out collecting eggs.

Roosters I've had in the past have had those black dots on their combs and wattles. I don't have mosquitoes so I ruled out fowl pox.

Those are different from pecking scabs, as the latter are uneven in their borders, not perfect round dots as the comb shows in the photo. My roosters had the same tiny black dots.

I painted Blue-kote on them and they disappeared in just a few days.

Could be fowl pox. If it is it should go away after a couple of weeks. Keep treating for the mites though. Repeat treatments for mites is essential because it does not kill the mites eggs. Good luck...
Will do. I’ve only done one treatment so far and will be doing a second soon. I did read up on it before treating and saw it won’t kill eggs. I want all these suckers gone😝
His wattles look as if they got a little frostbite from hanging in the waterer.
That’s possible. We just had temps drop down to 6F at night a few nights ago. The temps have been swinging a lot so they haven’t had a gradual move into cold weather.

The black dots seem to appear overnight, hence why I’m guessing they are just injuries. The wattles I’m not sure. I just noticed them today. I’ll check daily and see what happens.
Is there anything I should do?

Oh, and if it makes a difference I’m currently treating the flock/coop with permethrin for northern fowl mites. I did see him shake his head a few times while I was out collecting eggs.
Good luck on the mites. depending on how severe the infestation is also dictates the amount when mixing. Be sure you spray inside the coop thoroughly, every crack and crevice, everywhere. I also use the poultry dust in the nest boxes. I have had some of my males do the head shaking too. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom