1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Spots on Comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Coop de la Ville, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Coop de la Ville

Coop de la Ville Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Mechanicsville, Virginia
    Just noticed some black spots on my buff orpington hen's comb. Can't be frost bite since we've had a very mild winter and it's been above 70 for the past few weeks. I had a breeder tell me he uses Preparation H on his flocks combs. Has anyone out there ever heard that before? I'm looking to put something on them to get rid of the spots and "brighten" them up a bit.[​IMG]

2. ericsplls

ericsplls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    There are a couple of diseases that could cause it but there would be other symptoms. You sure the rooster isn't grabbing it with his beak when mounting. If so neosporin would probably help a little.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  3. Maggie C

Maggie C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    Largo, FL
    I have a black Australorp who will occasionally have a black spot on her comb. They seem to go away by themselves and several weeks later return. She is otherwise very healthy - has never had as pretty a comb and wattles as her sister but is fine in every other way. I have looked closely at the spots on several occasions but really can't tell what it is and none of my other hens have ever had it or any other symptoms so I just let her be. BTW [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Warmer weather brings out mosquitos. Mosquitos can infect chickens with fowl pox which will eventually go away in time...if that's what it is.

5. Coop de la Ville

Coop de la Ville Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Mechanicsville, Virginia
    Thanks everyone. I don't have a roo so it's not that so I'll go with the pox thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by