Black Spots on Comb

Coop de la Ville

Chirping
12 Years
Aug 13, 2010
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Just noticed some black spots on my buff orpington hen's comb. Can't be frost bite since we've had a very mild winter and it's been above 70 for the past few weeks. I had a breeder tell me he uses Preparation H on his flocks combs. Has anyone out there ever heard that before? I'm looking to put something on them to get rid of the spots and "brighten" them up a bit.
hmm.png

There are a couple of diseases that could cause it but there would be other symptoms. You sure the rooster isn't grabbing it with his beak when mounting. If so neosporin would probably help a little.

Last edited:
I have a black Australorp who will occasionally have a black spot on her comb. They seem to go away by themselves and several weeks later return. She is otherwise very healthy - has never had as pretty a comb and wattles as her sister but is fine in every other way. I have looked closely at the spots on several occasions but really can't tell what it is and none of my other hens have ever had it or any other symptoms so I just let her be. BTW
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom