Black spots on comb/beak

Rainbowfeathers96

In the Brooder
May 31, 2023
Hi ya'll,
My girl, Daisy, has a crusty looking comb and black spots on it, too. There are also some spots on her beak. Daisy is almost 6 months old. Has anyone seen this before or have an idea of what it may be?

IMG_0698.jpg

Do you have any women's vaginal yeast cream on hand? I suspect this may be a fungus. Use the cream on all the affected spots. Another thing that may work is Blu-kote. The active ingredient is gentian violet, a powerful anti-fungal. Use a Q-tip to dab it onto the black spots, careful not to get in the eyes or inside the mouth.

Warning: chickens will shake their heads when they feel something wet on their comb. Be prepared for that. Blue-kote stains so wear appropriate apparel.

Looks like frostbite to me. If you live in a cold climate, it can get cold in the coop in the winter. I keep the temp in the coop at about 50 fahrenheit at winter, so I use waterproof heating tubes and have an insulated coop. Heating the coop also keeps the moisture down so that frostbite is prevented. I also don't let them go outside when it's below 14 fahrenheit, but they don't go outside much now anyway since we almost don't have any daylight for several months.

Back
Top Bottom