Face and butt issues

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
What might be happening here?
My almost 2 year old hens has feather loss around the face and a couple face scabs. A cloudy spot on one eye, some swelling above her eye and a crusty and scabby butt.

Attachments

• PXL_20240229_001000314.jpg
    PXL_20240229_001000314.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20240229_000951677.jpg
    PXL_20240229_000951677.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20240302_163940539.jpg
    PXL_20240302_163940539.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20240302_164152677.jpg
    PXL_20240302_164152677.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 16
What might be happening here?
My almost 2 year old hens has feather loss around the face and a couple face scabs. A cloudy spot on one eye, some swelling above her eye and a crusty and scabby butt.
Looks like a combination of Picking, & molting.

Try soaking the effected birds in warm Epsom salts water for about 20 minutes to loosen and remove feces and other debris around and in the vent area. Pat dry afterwards with paper towels or an old towel.
Let us know how it looks afterwards.
I suspect you're possibly dealing with scaly face mites. Treatment is Ivermectin Pour On. Dosage is 4 drops of Ivermectin Pour On on bare skin on the back of the neck. It will treat a 4-6lb hen. It will quickly be absorbed into the bloodstream and will kill the mites. Apply olive oil to the effected areas on the face, avoid the eyes. It will smother mites and soften the skin as well.
The swelling above the eye could be a peck wound or a scratch causing infection in or near the eye. Apply regular Neosporin or Terramycin eye ointment in the eye twice a day until healed.
You will also have to treat the coops. I recommend spraying inside coops with Permethrin.

Try soaking the effected birds in warm Epsom salts water for about 20 minutes to loosen and remove feces and other debris around and in the vent area. Pat dry afterwards with paper towels or an old towel.
Let us know how it looks afterwards.
I suspect you're possibly dealing with scaly face mites. Treatment is Ivermectin Pour On. Dosage is 4 drops of Ivermectin Pour On on bare skin on the back of the neck. It will treat a 4-6lb hen. It will quickly be absorbed into the bloodstream and will kill the mites. Apply olive oil to the effected areas on the face, avoid the eyes. It will smother mites and soften the skin as well.
The swelling above the eye could be a peck wound or a scratch causing infection in or near the eye. Apply regular Neosporin or Terramycin eye ointment in the eye twice a day until healed.
You will also have to treat the coops. I recommend spraying inside coops with Permethrin.
I bathed her today in Epsom salt and applied Vaseline to her rear end and somewhat around the face. Should I switch to olive oil?
The "ivermectin pour on"...is that specifically to poultry? Do all birds need treated?

Thank you both. Will my dogs and cats be safe around the chickens with the ivermectin on them?

Also...is this correct?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240302-201904.png
    Screenshot_20240302-201904.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
Update-with the Vaseline and bath, the scaly/scabby stuff from her rear end came off. It's still looking very moisturized even though I haven't reapplied.

I don't visibility see mites but I did see a couple of my phone screen about a week prior. Should I go ahead and treat?

Leg mites are different than body mites or lice. I would look her skin over all over—under her vent, under wings, and on the rest of the body for tiny bugs. It is important to know if they are mites or lice. Lice and northern fowl mites stay on them all of the time, while some roost mites may only be on the chicken in the dark of night hiding in the coop during daylight hours. Permethrin works well, and is used every 7 days for mites, and every 10 days for lice at least twice. Lice have 6 legs and mites have 8 legs. Here are 2 articles with pictures of what to look for:
https://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8162.pdf
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Leg mites are different than body mites or lice. I would look her skin over all over—under her vent, under wings, and on the rest of the body for tiny bugs. It is important to know if they are mites or lice. Lice and northern fowl mites stay on them all of the time, while some roost mites may only be on the chicken in the dark of night hiding in the coop during daylight hours. Permethrin works well, and is used every 7 days for mites, and every 10 days for lice at least twice. Lice have 6 legs and mites have 8 legs. Here are 2 articles with pictures of what to look for:
https://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8162.pdf
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Back
Top Bottom