Black spots on combs; frostbite, fowl pox or are they pecking each other

3- CHICKS

Chirping
Mar 19, 2021
There are a lot of post on here with the same issue for the last month. I read so many of them to try to find an answer for my girls. Honestly, I'm still not certain what it was. The temperature dropped to the 20's and 30's. A lot of black spots appeared on Zena. Then Lily had four or five of them too. Harper, had none on her comb.

I was afraid it was frostbite at first, but the spots where in random places just not on the tips of the comb. When I read about fowl pox, well, that was just bad. Some suggested it might be they were pecking each other. Spring time is coming so, could be broody. They behaved normally; ate, drank, laid, chicken scratched, played in their sand box and hay box.

We used neosporin on the spots (DO NOT USE THE KIND WITH PAIN RELIEF, according to what I read anyway) then covered the combs with Vaseline. It went away within four days. I didn't take a pictures before but this is the third day pics. Only a few black spots left and the tiny white spots, were black before. Now they are all gone.

I'm not saying this will cure what your babies have but my girls done great with this. The last picture is Lily, every time the phone comes out she runs to it. She likes her picture taken.

This is all new to me, if I didn't post it in the correct place, sorry.

Attachments

• 20210322_103935.jpg
    20210322_103935.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210321_092134_HDR.jpg
    20210321_092134_HDR.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210322_103907_HDR.jpg
    20210322_103907_HDR.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210322_103954.jpg
    20210322_103954.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210322_104221.jpg
    20210322_104221.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 49
From the pictures, I don’t see anything alarming. Looks like maybe a touch of frostbite (which is normal - no intervention necessary and is best to leave it alone) and maybe I see one peck mark on the one chicken. The pics are kind of blurry, but again I don’t see anything abnormal or alarming in the pics. I don’t believe fowl pox is an issue - fowl pox spreads quickly and looks like little raised white warts with black scabbing on top.

From the pictures, I don’t see anything alarming. Looks like maybe a touch of frostbite (which is normal - no intervention necessary and is best to leave it alone) and maybe I see one peck mark on the one chicken. The pics are kind of blurry, but again I don’t see anything abnormal or alarming in the pics. I don’t believe fowl pox is an issue - fowl pox spreads quickly and looks like little raised white warts with black scabbing on top.
I agree.

Hi there, I'm new here and this spot appeared on my hen yesterday and it's still there today. There are only two hens and the other one also has a black spot. I live in the tropics though it's just becoming cooler ie 20 degrees. Both girls seem happy, lively, eating well and laying well. Can anyone please advise what they think it is and what I need to do? Thank you.
Screenshot_20210518-091010_Motion photo viewer.jpg

Hi there, I'm new here and this spot appeared on my hen yesterday and it's still there today. There are only two hens and the other one also has a black spot. I live in the tropics though it's just becoming cooler ie 20 degrees. Both girls seem happy, lively, eating well and laying well. Can anyone please advise what they think it is and what I need to do? Thank you. View attachment 2676783
My girls got better with Neosporin non pain relief kind and Vaseline. Their black spots turned white or grayish as they healed. The combs went back to bright red as normal. It looks like a peck or insect bite on yours. Hope your baby is alright.

Last edited:
There are a lot of post on here with the same issue for the last month. I read so many of them to try to find an answer for my girls. Honestly, I'm still not certain what it was. The temperature dropped to the 20's and 30's. A lot of black spots appeared on Zena. Then Lily had four or five of them too. Harper, had none on her comb.

I was afraid it was frostbite at first, but the spots where in random places just not on the tips of the comb. When I read about fowl pox, well, that was just bad. Some suggested it might be they were pecking each other. Spring time is coming so, could be broody. They behaved normally; ate, drank, laid, chicken scratched, played in their sand box and hay box.

We used neosporin on the spots (DO NOT USE THE KIND WITH PAIN RELIEF, according to what I read anyway) then covered the combs with Vaseline. It went away within four days. I didn't take a pictures before but this is the third day pics. Only a few black spots left and the tiny white spots, were black before. Now they are all gone.

I'm not saying this will cure what your babies have but my girls done great with this. The last picture is Lily, every time the phone comes out she runs to it. She likes her picture taken.

This is all new to me, if I didn't post it in the correct place, sorry.
Awesome job with your care of your birds. You can also find a country vet who does do clinical upwork for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom