black spots on combs...(pics to follow)

Yes very much agree, if that avian pox its an awful mild form. Those look like simple and minor wounds to me. I have seen chickens cut their combs by rubbing them against things.

I have just found this in my hens too. Four out of 5 have it, the 5th being a silkie, and I can't see any scabs on her black comb, (mayhap because it is black
barnie.gif
) I read thru other posts on this site, and it advised to try washing them off with a warm wash cloth. Makes sense, that if it's bllood it will wash off. If it doesn't wash off? From the research I have done, it is a mild form of avian pox. There are indeed 2 forms, 1 is internal, in their mouth and throat. This form is more severe. I think mine have pox, and it is just in the beginning stage. By my reading it can be fatal, but the numbers were not very helpful, 10-95%? That's a big range.

At first I was rather freaked out...but giving it more thought, I am not completely overwhelmed.

1. I am not adding to my flock, so I can't spread it.

2. I am not selling my birds, so can't spread it.

I am not sure where they got it? That does concern me a bit. It does give me pause to reflect on immunization, which I had thought I would never do if I ever ordered birds from a hatchery. Now I feel I definitely would! You can still immunize other members of the flock who are not showing signs...

Just my 6 cents (inflation
cool.png
)

Tanya

Back
Top Bottom