Black Sumatra Roo?

ashorter

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 9, 2015
Aurora, OH
I ordered chicks this past spring. I was supposed to have 2 black australorp hens. This is one of them. I do believe he is a rooster judging by his tail feathers. I don't think he is an australorp since his comb is black. Looks more like the sumatra.

He is 14 weeks. Guess I will be calling him handsome instead of cutie like my kids named him. Have to see how his tempermant as he matures. Right now he is very calm and docile. Not at all flighty... thanks alexandra33. That is a nice pullet.

Definitely a sumatra,, at 14 weeks you may have to wait a bit yet to really be sure,,, sumatra pullets will also show cockeral traits, like longer than normal tails and leg spurs,, i had one i had sworn was a cockeral that just didn't crow,,, until i hound him,, ahem,, her in the nest box
ya.gif

So he is definitely a rooster. Been crowing every morning when he comes out of the coop. He is really starting to get the sheen in his feathers. As long as he isn't aggressive towards the family and myself, and doesn't crow every 15 minutes he will have a happy life.

You're lucky to have him, then! I, too, hope that he's not aggressive. I'm in a similar situation, because 3 of my newest chicks are looking a lot like roosters, and we might possibly end up keeping the most even-tempered of the bunch (although they are all untamable and wild at the moment). If your Sumatra ends up possessing a wonderful disposition, and there's a great chance of that, he's a prize.

-Alexandra33

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom