Black Swedish babies are not Black Swedish

Koko Acres

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2023
One of our Black Swedish hens just hatched out 9 ducklings. Most of them are yellow with some darker spots. Only a few look like black Swedish. This is from a trio we bought as adults so I don’t know their origin. Does this mean my trio isn’t pure or is this a common thing to happen.. maybe a recessive gene situation or something like that? I’d sure appreciate some insight. Thanks so much! I’m attaching a pic of the trio and of the mama that hatched them with the ducklings. As an added note, they had access to no other Drake. They were in a separate breeding pen. Thanks!
80D9A1E9-ACAE-4953-A6E9-60C87C132F7F.jpeg
7ED5BBFC-4FC8-4086-B312-AD127967FF62.jpeg

Last edited:
One of our Black Swedish hens just hatched out 9 ducklings. Most of them are yellow with some darker spots. Only a few look like black Swedish. This is from a trio we bought as adults so I don’t know their origen. Does this mean my trio isn’t pure or is this a common thing to happen.. maybe a recessive gene situation or something like that? I’d sure appreciate some insight. Thanks so much! I’m attaching a pic of the trio and of the mama that hatched them with the ducklings. As an added note, they had access to no other Drake. They were in a separate breeding pen. Thanks!View attachment 3598360View attachment 3598359
Adorable!!! Idk what happened though, sorry.

I believe you are seeing hidden recessive traits and your ducks are indeed mix breeds. The black allele from a Swedish or Cayuga is dominant and will hide whatever is also there. Or, You could have Pekin mixes. The white allele is recessive and codes for no color put in the feathers. So, if you cross something with a Peking the offspring are not white but show whatever is underneath. Often, Peking crosses seem to end up looking like black Swedish, because black and dominant bib are underneath. If you then crossed those ducks, you could get black and bibbed or you could be back to white (yelliw ducklings).

I believe you are seeing hidden recessive traits and your ducks are indeed mix breeds. The black allele from a Swedish or Cayuga is dominant and will hide whatever is also there. Or, You could have Pekin mixes. The white allele is recessive and codes for no color put in the feathers. So, if you cross something with a Peking the offspring are not white but show whatever is underneath. Often, Peking crosses seem to end up looking like black Swedish, because black and dominant bib are underneath. If you then crossed those ducks, you could get black and bibbed or you could be back to white (yelliw ducklings).
Thank you so much for that info. I’m going to have to go to Google to dissect what you said! 😊 I am such a newbie at this. I think one of the adults at least is mixed with Pekin. Two of the babies look like pure Pekin after a better look tonight. I took another pic that shows the babies better. Maybe you could have a look. A couple of the predominantly yellow ducklings have what is similar to an upside down capital “T” just above their tails. Additionally, a couple that look like Swedish have purely black feet. It’s a mystery for sure!
0D0901B0-3463-4176-A47A-1278AFB34A2F.jpeg
0D0901B0-3463-4176-A47A-1278AFB34A2F.jpeg

Thank you so much for that info. I’m going to have to go to Google to dissect what you said! 😊 I am such a newbie at this. I think one of the adults at least is mixed with Pekin. Two of the babies look like pure Pekin after a better look tonight. I took another pic that shows the babies better. Maybe you could have a look. A couple of the predominantly yellow ducklings have what is similar to an upside down capital “T” just above their tails. Additionally, a couple that look like Swedish have purely black feet. It’s a mystery for sure!View attachment 3598632View attachment 3598632
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mallard-derived-duck-color-genetics-basics.74277/ This is a link to a wonderful article by Pyxis explaining genetics. Both parents would have to carry white to get a white baby. So, if both parents were Peking crosses, it would work. I do not know what to make of the spotted ones. That trait is dominant which means it can’t hide. Maybe @Pyxis, will have better ideas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mallard-derived-duck-color-genetics-basics.74277/ This is a link to a wonderful article by Pyxis explaining genetics. Both parents would have to carry white to get a white baby. So, if both parents were Peking crosses, it would work. I do not know what to make of the spotted ones. That trait is dominant which means it can’t hide. Maybe @Pyxis, will have better ideas.
Thank you for that link. I will read it next!

Quick thought? What if one of the parents was mixed with Ancona? Could that explain the spotted ones? A couple of the spotted babies have black dots right and the top of their bill which look like Ancona ducklings, plus the main hen in question lays blue eggs like an Ancona.

Thanks again. I am learning so much!!

Back
Top Bottom