Black swedish with a sore neck ?

Jt1220

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2020
I am new to ducks, I have 3 black Swedish, 2 mallards and a pekin all female. This morning one of my black swedish was holding her head tucked up to her body, she was fine when i put them to bed last night. Could she have just tweaked her neck overnight?

How old are they? Could be about anything. Ducks tangle necks to try to show dominance. Without a drake, even one girl will try to be top dog, so it’s possible that they just got into a tiff and hurt her neck.

Just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn’t get worse, and that she is actively eating and drinking.

Thank you, They are probably around 4 months old if i had to guess, we got them as juviniles (fully feathered already). She is still like that this morning, but she seems to be drinking well for sure. I haven't seen her eat from the feeder yet but she was gobbling up meal worms last night.

My runner has done the whole "I'm protecting my nest but not really" thing where her neck practically disappears and she fluffs out. Looks goofy considering they're normally 2 ft tall with their neck being 1/3 of that or more.

Is that maybe what you're seeing? A partially broody behavior?

I am not sure how to upload a picture, it keeps telling me the file is to large. She doesn't seem to have any interest in the nesting box so I'm not sure about the broody behavior. That being said one of the chickens has decided to lay her eggs in the ducks nesting box so maybe she is confused but that?

Back
Top Bottom