Black swollen earlobe

whatsthequestion

Songster
May 25, 2020
West Virginia
My rooster got into a fight three days ago. Today he comes to the door with his ear looking like this. It could be from an injury or it could be an ear infection. I am still new at this. I'm going to check him closer tonight after they roost. Maybe clean it, peroxide, then Vetericyn or Neosporin? I was thinking of giving him Lysine and Silver Biotics.

The pictures show the difference between his ears.

Thank you in advance for you assistance.

Attachments

• 20201128_131928.jpg
    20201128_131928.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20201128_132508.jpg
    20201128_132508.jpg
    667 KB · Views: 7
I have three. They were raised together and have only had one big leadership dispute. Since then just happy chickens. This fight was surprising. He is my top bird. One of my other roosters was gearing up to flog me, also something he hasn't done in awhile, and this rooster launched into a full attack on him. They are 8 months old, so still just cockerels.

Is the black just dried blood from the fight? Is it super warm and swollen? Roos faces are warm already, I've learned, so I thought mine was giving off excess heat when it wasnt. Yours looks swollen but it could be the angle.

Is the black just dried blood from the fight? Is it super warm and swollen? Roos faces are warm already, I've learned, so I thought mine was giving off excess heat when it wasnt. Yours looks swollen but it could be the angle.
I'm not sure but will be bringing him in tonight to check it.

How did you treat his original injuries? I am assuming this is related.

If it's just dried blood or a scab, you can leave it alone. Some suggest gently removing the dried blood with a warm rag but I ended up pulling off scabs if I rubbed too hard and making no difference if i rubbed too soft so I gave up.

How did you treat his original injuries? I am assuming this is related.

If it's just dried blood or a scab, you can leave it alone. Some suggest gently removing the dried blood with a warm rag but I ended up pulling off scabs if I rubbed too hard and making no difference if i rubbed too soft so I gave up.
When the fight originally occurred I saw no bleeding on either cockerel. Other than a few ruffled feathers they seemed okay. As I look closer it looks like it might be a hematoma. Hopefully I'll know more after close inspection.

I would use the Vetericyn wound spray on his ear. If you remove him from the flock, the other cockerels may not let him come back. At their ages, you might want to think about separating them or picking one to keep, so they don’t hurt each other. I have had 2 roosters and a bantam rooster in a flock when I had a lot of hens. They were raised together, but sometimes having more than one causes problems, and keeps the hen upset. I don’t tolerate a rooster who will flog or attack people.

Back
Top Bottom