Black Tailed Buff Marans??

Yes, photos don't always show what you see in person. Here's a pair of juveniles at an age a bit younger than yours. Photo taken in the bright sunlight.

Here they are as adults:

That first one looks like it has cuckoo in it. The last one looks like what the one I had turned into, except for the wheaten colored head. I sold him for $5 to a guy that eats them and I didn't get a good pic of him before he left. I hope they turn out good for you!
fl.gif

I talked to the breeder and found out they were "projects" and I got them by mistake. She sent me replacements. I think I have a few "projects" in this bunch also! I will post some pics tomorrow.

That first one looks like it has cuckoo in it. The last one looks like what the one I had turned into, except for the wheaten colored head. I sold him for $5 to a guy that eats them and I didn't get a good pic of him before he left. I hope they turn out good for you!
fl.gif

I talked to the breeder and found out they were "projects" and I got them by mistake. She sent me replacements. I think I have a few "projects" in this bunch also! I will post some pics tomorrow.

maybe we have discovered a new marans :)..... Black Copper Wheaten LOL!!!! ok seriously.. well I am stuck with them now and I have to wait to see what they turn out like.. I guess another few weeks won't hurt. If they lay nice dark brown eggs then the girls can go in the layer pen. I had a really good feeling about the person i got them from, he gave them to me separated (but they took their own bands off), and even gave me some of their eggshells they hatched from so that i could make sure i wasnt losing color as i went forward. I will keep you posted.. It just seemed weird after i saw your pics and then i realized mine was like that. one wonders if there is a recessive gene in the black copper that i have that almost never shows up or something...

Last edited:
Um - this hen and rooster look nearly exactly like a hen and rooster I have. Mine are Freedom Rangers - purchased from a Freedom Ranger hatchery.

I can take and send a picture of mine, if you like....

Last edited:
This is what a young Wheaten Marans Male looks like:

(male is on the left)

some of mine are much more buff looking, but the uniform color doesn't seem to extend below the wings, they are a bit paler there... maybe it will darken as they grow.
some of mine look exactly like yours too... BTW mine came from Loxahatchee

Last edited:
some of mine are much more buff looking, but the uniform color doesn't seem to extend below the wings, they are a bit paler there... maybe it will darken as they grow.
some of mine look exactly like yours too... BTW mine came from Loxahatchee
Hey there Florida Wheaten buddy!
Mine came from Inverness. Here's a few more pictures of the male when he was that young:

and the female shown above (a few weeks later) :

And here they are today:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom