Black Tailed Japanese Bantams ~ What gender?

Reptigirl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
San Antonio, Tx
These Black Tailed Japanese Bantams are the first 3 chickens I have had in over 10 years. They were all supposed to be pullets but I'm thinking otherwise. I was told they are about 4/5 months old. The lady knew I ONLY wanted pullets.... I sure hope I'm wrong but what do you think?
fl.gif

I'm pretty sure this one is a pullet:
BuffBantamPullet.jpg

#2 (With #1 in back)
I'm thinking the one in the front is a roo?
buffbantams.jpg

My favorite.... Another roo?
whitebantam.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't realize there were 3 different ones. I sort of agree with my first post. The first one is a hen, the second is a roo, and the third one is a roo too.

Mods please move thread. This was supposed to be in the "What Breed Or Gender is This?" Forum. Sorry about that!

I went back and numbered them so it wouldn't be as confusing.

Here is another photo of #2 not sure if it helps.
buffbantamroo.jpg

drumstick diva, I could probably call her but I hate to do the drive again. It was an hour each way. I was not as impressed with her birds as I hoped (why I only came home with 3). I have only had these guys a week. Like I said it's been 10 years since I've had chickens and I've never had bantams. I could tell a few of the rosters in the pen I got them from but I'm not that great at it yet. I stressed to her it was VERY important for me to just get hens and she assured me she was very good at telling. I think if they are roo's I'm going to have to decided who to part with. I'm saving my only boy space for a cochin.

Well darn
hmm.png
Thanks for all the responses!

I have a couple of questions. Any advise would be great . I wanted to get a Cochin Rooster. Might be picking one out on Sunday. So far neither of the Bantams are exhibiting any aggressive behavior. The only reason I was suspecting males was because of the difference in comb length. One of them (the white one) is missing an eye. It was injured as a chick. (all healed now). The lady I got them from offered "her" for almost nothing saying she would still lay eggs and be fine. I was skeptical but figured it couldn't hurt. Actually kinda funny is a RIR that was kept with "her" is very watchful and helps to guide him alone. It's kinda odd they are inseparable and when they get separated they call to each other. The RIR stays on the side with the bad eyes and will "Push" the Bantam away from trouble. The RIR is only 3 months and the Bantam is 6 months. Now my questions are

I SHOULD have 7 hens and now 2 of the Bantam Roosters.
I am getting a Cochin Rooster for sure and maybe 1 more hen.

Should I re-home both of the Bantam Roo's or is it possible for me to keep one with a Cochin roo?
They have a 6 X 10 enclosure that has lots of perching places for everyone. Once we finish our fence these week everyone will have free roam of about 3 acres during the day.

If I keep one which would you re-home the one with the missing eye? ( I hate to split it away from the RIR but I DON'T want to part with the RIR she is SWEET as ever) or the one that is okay?

If I re-home the one that is okay will the one with the missing eye have a chance around another roo? I don't want to see him hurt.

Would it even be possible to keep 3 Roo's together? I know growing up we had a pen of 10-15 roosters (no hens) but they didn't stick around alone as over 1/2 of them were very aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom