Black Tar Droppings

Mine do this every time I feed them the flock block. I have to take it away from them because it gets like this. I think it's the molasses in the flock block. I give it to them when they free ranged yesterday and I noticed yet again one had this black poop and really torn up not firm at all. It's every time I give it to them this happens. SO I'm just going to let them have it once a week or less if it keeps happening.

Mine ALSO has fireplace ashes to dust bathe in.

Last edited:
Whatever happened with this? My Buff Orpington seems like a huge happy healthy chicken but all of her droppings are dark black watery tarry. I'm worried

What does their diet consist of? Have you ever wormed them or used preventative treatment for coccidiosis? Often enteritis can go on undetected until damage is done to the intestines. Protozoa, worms, bacteria can all cause enteritis in birds. This is why some of us use water dispersible probiotics regularly in water with vitamins and electrolytes. Birds up to 9 months of age get preventative treatments of Corid in water every three weeks. That's how I do it and rarely have digestive problems with my flock. Often worms cannot be seen without the assistance of bright light and good eyesight on a fresh dropping. Even then, you can't always see them.

I took poop to the vets office and mine didn't have any worms and I am still using the fresh garlic and ACV as well.

Remember, the intestinal villi can become frayed by limited to no antioxidant quality in the constant regeneration of cells in the gut. Acidity changes in the small intestine and damage to lining invites all sorts of problems. Enteritis causes increased mucous secretion and intestinal fluid resulting in diarrhea.

Probiotic supplementation by dispersible powder in waterers has a high absorption rate. Vitamin supplements are also beneficial for the immune system when used with probiotics. This is important for the regeneration of cells always taking place which ACV does not do. The condition of droppings is the first indication of gut health, or lack of it. If you are seeing black droppings, or mucous laden droppings, I'd back off on the garlic and ACV, and go with a well formulated feed, and water supplemented with Probios dispersible powder + a good quality vitamin electrolyte powder 2-3 times a week.

Mine are also on fermented foods. This only happens with mine when I give them that flock block and I think the thing has too much molasses in it or something. Was just telling about it in case they were also feeding theirs the flock block.

I've noticed recently that I have 1 chicken with the same problem. Black stool, losing feathers and weight loss. Other than that she seems totally normal, she's eating, drinking cuddling... Anyone know how to fix this? All of my other chickens are fat and happy. I've read all of the "poop pages" and most of them said it was wait her something they ate or digested blood. All of my girls are eating the same things, Mickey is the only one with black stool. But if it is blood does anyone know what I can do? Thank you

Back
Top Bottom