Black Walnut tree

For a really big old tree it can take 5years.

You might be able to get away with a few hardier vegetables before that though. It's tomatos that really will not grow near a walnut tree. My strawberries also didn't produce until I moved the patch farther away.

Last edited:
farm_mom wrote:
Black Walnut trees produce a toxin to most other plants called jugulone. Don't plant your veggie garden near one, and if you remove it, the toxin can last in your soil for at least 5 years.

Cr@p. I have been nursing 6 young black walnut trees for about 7-8 years now. They are just now to the point where they are producing nice shade. They're down BY our veggie garden, but not right next to it (even when they are mature, I don't think their branches will be over the garden). I wonder if I am OK with this?

When you say the walnut trees produce a toxin to most other plants, so you mean it prohibits plant growth, or it "poisons" the plants so that they should not be eaten?​

chickiebaby: Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to give your chickens access to the area while you wait for the Horrible Death of the black walnut tree to disappear haha. I'm sure they would help make the soil wonderful for your garden.

Allchookup: the tree will poison the plants as in Kill them not poison then as in kill you
smile.png

Tomatoes take it hard. Even just being with in a certain area of the tree it will kill them. (the roots carry the toxin as well)

That being said my Garden is about 20ft away from my Walnut tree since it's the ONLY place in my yard that gets enough sunlight, the garden seem to be ok, but it's a Raised bed garden. So I think that helps alot.

The poor lady next door to me can't keep any Roses alive in her back yard, and she thinks it's because of the tree. The roses in her front yard are fine.

The darn tree drops those walnuts HARD TOO! Those things hurt!

Last edited:
holy cannoli- you really think five years?

Anyone know what I can cut the soil with to ease the prob? If I do that AND raised beds what do you think? It's my sunniest spot, now . . .

I have a Black Walnut tree in my backyard. It has killed every tree that we have tried to plant. There are some trees and plants that can tolerate it. You can find the info on-line.
I was told two years maybe longer by my Extension agent.
He said to try and plant a tomato plant in the space in two years. If it doesn't kill it then, I'll be good to go. The roots have the potential to spread up to eighty feet!!! Can you believe that!?! I would love to cut ours down because the walnuts are like missles in the fall. But it's the only shade in the back yard because it KILLED all my other trees.(Sigh)
barnie.gif

Probably 5years until you have really healthy tomatos but you can grow some other things. I've done alright with some peppers (bell and marble), lettuce, cilantro, most other herbs-lavender came back the next year and flowered, and a watermelon plant at the far end of my garden. Squash will not grow. It grows slowly gets to the point of flowering and then starts to die off. Corn will not get beyond 2' tall. The strawberries would not produce berries. The blueberry bushes were iffy and I've since moved them to the backyard instead. My aunt tried 4 times over 5years to plant fruit trees and none survived more than 2years or produced more than 1 crop.

Dang! Those trees are pernicious beasts, aint they? Thik I'm going out to get the last saplings now. I'm on a mission to save my soil!

Thanks for all the smart info, everyone.

I realize the concern is about Black Walnut trees. I had trouble finding information about English walnut and potential toxicity. My chickens are housed under a large English walnut tree. One has taken to roosting in it and she occasionally takes some bites out of the leaves. I've only had my 3 pullets for 2 weeks, but they seem to be fine so far.
Any help is appreciated

Back
Top Bottom