Black Widow in the Chicken Coop!

Quote:
If the egg sac fell in the compost bin it almost certainly won't survive. It definitely won't if you water your pile and turn it. The eggs are extremely fragile. If a single one gets it's chorion (shell) busted, a fungus will move in and kill them all. Turning the compost pile will squash them all.

How bout just using a dust pan and brush? Scoop her up and move her to somewhere where she won't bother you. I do it all the time. Black widows, scorpions, wolf spiders, vinigaroons, I'm sure they all enjoy life, too.

I have them in my yard and my chikens eat them! The first time it happened I was moving some fire wood and one got out from under the pile and before I could stomp on it my Orp got to it pecked at it and ate it. I was really worried about my chicken and kept a close eye on her for few hours. That was few months ago! I would not worry if I were you.

Last edited:
I got it!

I went in with a vacuum cleaner and a big stick. After I wound all the web out, I poked and poked until I cornered it and SMOOSH! Got it! I didn't see an egg sac anywhere, and the spider wasn't full size yet, so I am hoping there are no eggs.

Thanks for all the advise!

I am new to this forum and really appreciate all the kind help.

Rene.

Ok,.. don't laugh,.. but you can use Hairspray. It makes the wings of flying insects unusable and seals the breathing orifices to suffocate the insect if the alcohol doesn't kill it first. . It is water-soluble so it can be easily washed away with water. Listerine works too, kills them dead if you can put it in a spray bottle and use it straight.

although I taught my hens to eat fire ants, they will have nothing to do with the black widow spiders I find frequently in the garden. The hens pretend not to see the great big black bug and eat everything that is not within ten or twelve inches of said spider. I squash 'em... not very effective control given the numbers we have in our garden the last couple years. Gloves are my friend!

Quote:
Ok, go poke at one with a stick and make it mad. See how far they can't jump.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom