Black_cat's Brooder Thread! Come see my brooder ideas/plans/questions.

What I used this last time was puppy pads for the first week or so. Then I put pine chips on top of puppy pads. Paper towels work just as well this way.
Either one makes cleaning easier, you just roll it all up and then put clean ones in.
Might do puppy pads because of the absorbance as stated by @RubelliteRose .

I was thinking that I'd have food and water on bricks to keep them steady....maybe with some velcro sticking them to the bricks as chicks get older/stronger? The bricks will be on the bottom of the brooder with the shavings built up around them.
The velcro might work, we didn't try that:). We tried using bricks, but finally ended up placing the water on a 12" sq paving stone. It helped somewhat with stability and helped absorb some of the water. We also kept an extra one nearby to swap out while the other dried.

The velcro might work, we didn't try that:). We tried using bricks, but finally ended up placing the water on a 12" sq paving stone. It helped somewhat with stability and helped absorb some of the water. We also kept an extra one nearby to swap out while the other dried.
I was thinking just have the strips on the bricks and the bottom of the feeder....I don't want the bricks permanently attached because I might need the feeder/waterer for other things. Did the feeder on the brick work?

When I raised chicks I started with both a regular waterer and this kind: https://shoprentacoop.com/collectio...erer-1liter-drinker-plus-red-versatile-nipple
They learned to use the new waterer quite quickly, and then I was able to take the normal waterer out. It removes the problem of shavings getting in the water.

How long do you plan to keep them in your room? I would try to move them out as soon after 6 weeks as possible. We had issues getting our coop finished with bad weather and they created loads of dust after that age. We pretty much had to strip the room bare to clean it all. That being said, I plan to raise more there in the spring - just moving them outside much sooner😁
I was thinking just have the strips on the bricks and the bottom of the feeder....I don't want the bricks permanently attached because I might need the feeder/waterer for other things. Did the feeder on the brick work?
The feeder worked until they were older. Then they started to knock that over too, but since it was dry it wasn't as much of an issue.

How long do you plan to keep them in your room? I would try to move them out as soon after 6 weeks as possible. We had issues getting our coop finished with bad weather and they created loads of dust after that age. We pretty much had to strip the room bare to clean it all. That being said, I plan to raise more there in the spring - just moving them outside much sooner😁

The feeder worked until they were older. Then they started to knock that over too, but since it was dry it wasn't as much of an issue.
As soon as they're feathered out, they're moving out.

Back
Top Bottom