Blackberries Everywhere... Help!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by CoopCrazy, Jul 9, 2010.

1. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Ok I have 5 gallons of blackberries from my Grandmother's orchard.. Plus she is going to Florida for a few months and wants me to go over every couple of days and pick more .. So I will be overflowiing with blackberries for the next few weeks... I need some ideas to Can, Preserve, Freeze, etc...

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know how you use blackberries. My wife cannot eat the seeds due to medical considerations so I make juice out of them, then can the juice. It is one of the easiest cannings I do, it being a quick water bath method. Just find a good recipe. The juice can be used to make jelly, cobbler, or whatever at your convenience. I did two cannings this year. Out of about three gallons I got 4-1/2 quarts of juice. Then out of about 4-1/2 gallons, I got about 5-1/2 quarts of juice. Not sure why the difference per gallon.

To keep the berries "fresh" while I was getting enough for a canning, I would freeze them and store them in zip-loc type bags. I did it two different ways. I look them and rinse them well. Some I dried off and put on a cookie sheet on wax paper in the freezer. A couple of times while they are freezing I stirred them up so they wound up frozen as individual berries instead of a solid clump. The others I just put in the bags and froze them in a clump. Both worked well for canning, but if you need to measure them for a recipe the individually frozen berries are real handy. With 5 gallons of berries, that would take a lot of cookie sheets and freezer space to individually freeze them. How you plan to use them may help you make that decision.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

3. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    We make blackberry jam here in NW Ga!! It is excellent on cornbread or biscuits.

Its also good warmed up and poured on vanilla ice cream.

As a side note, my chooks LOVE 'EM too!

4. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I make jam or jelly too but I strain out the seeds. [​IMG]

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Any body have recipes for the jellies and jams.. I would really like to make some...

6. angelique_redhead

angelique_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    DFW, Texas
  7. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

I like to put the whole berries on a cookie sheet, single spaced and freeze them over night. The next day I pop them off and put them in a freezer bag. This way they don't all stick together in a big clump. I use them for smoothies and pies. We are just picking black rasberries here, the Blackberries are not ready yet.

If you are making jelly/jam, follow the recipe on the box of sure-jell.

8. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
  9. PATTENJP21

PATTENJP21 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    Jacksonville, Florida
    blackberry cobbler!! yum!

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    maybe you could use up a BUNCH of them by making fruit leather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by