Blackhead in turkeys

homesteader5

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 11, 2008
Versailles, MO
It looks like one of my toms has come down with blackhead and I need suggestions on the best way to treat it. I called the vet and he said to use tyracyclizole, I misspelled it I know but has anyone used it before and if so how did it work for you?

I know most of the vet meds, but I cannot figure out what that word is? Tetracycline? Not that- won't do a thing for histomoniasis (blackhead). Metronidazole is what you need for this disease if this is what he has. If you have a ruffled punky turkey with diarrhea (yellow especially) and you have or have had chickens- this is blackhead until proven otherwise- you will need to get it from the vet if you want it NOW- which you really need to do- as they die quickly. BY the time they look sick, they are usually septic and in liver failure. If you want to have some on hand for the future, you can get fish-zole on line which is OTC metronidazole.

Denagard (tiamulin) may have some effect in blackhead treatment and control- though the why of it is unknown, and unless you live in the UK- it will be harder to get than metronidazole. Also for control- you need to deworm everyone with something that will kill cecal worm (ie NOT wazine).

Back
Top Bottom