BlackJack 57 on damp OSB?

Spadusa

Hatching
Feb 24, 2023
Hi! We got our first 8 chicks a few weeks ago and I’m up against the clock to get the coop finished. The last important part right now is protecting the floor. I originally wanted to use linoleum, but all I could find at the big box stores and flooring stores was vinyl rolls that were squishy foam-type products. I really didn’t want to use vinyl, so I ordered some BackJack 57 and was planning on applying to my 4x8 OSB floor today.

I went outside to start working and realized that I left the coop door open the other day and the sprinklers went on this morning. So my OSB is damp to the touch about 3ft into the coop.

My question is: I know the BlackJack instructions say don’t install on wet surfaces, but I guess I’m looking for clarification on to what degree of wet that actually means. Is “damp to the touch” too wet? If so, does anyone have suggestions on how I can quickly dry the floor? I’m in Florida and the humidity is pretty high already, so I’m close to just saying YOLO and applying it today since I now have some 5week old chickens that need to leave their tub pretty soon.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Yes. It MUST be dry or it will not adhere.
Put a fan on it. If you have a safe heater, put the heater behind the fan and blow warm air across the floor.
x2. The instructions even caution to not apply during a rainy day. Your chicks can wait a tiny bit longer, if you get the Black Jack applied properly it will last you a long time.

Back
Top Bottom